Sign in to follow this  
dsc2

Front end alignment equipment

Like many of the DIYer's out there I have been expanding my tool collection basd on the need to do more work ourselves. Some tools are junk and others really make the job easier. I am looking at doing the front end alignment (caster, chamber, toe in). Has anybody bought the equipment and done this in their home shop?

I have the fastrax and like it. You can do it with simpler things and I'm sure someone will tell you what they use.

Oh, turning the front wheels while sitting on top of folded plastic trash bags helps as well. If you're lucky enough to find the turning dial plate things instead (sorry, can't remember what they are called) off of craigslist they would be nice to have.

dsc2

I have always done my own alignments.

I use a caster camber gauge (bubble levels, from Speedway Motors), it comes with a magnetic adapter that snaps right onto your rotor after you remove the grease cap.

Check out Speedway Motors, they have great stuff at reasonable prices.

For the toe in I use toe bars but you can use any two straight pieces of wood, have someone help you hold the wood on the opposite side while you shoot the tape measure across in front of and behind the wheels, measure about 6" up. The toe in will be the difference between the back and front measurements, probably should be 1/8"-3/16"

Each time you measure after adjusting roll the car back 6 feet or so then roll it forward again to set the wheels. Do this on a flat floor.

For the Camber, the gauge reads directly in degrees, if you don't have castor camber gauge a straight edge and level gauge that reads in degrees will do. I make my wheels pretty straight up so you could even use a regular bubble level holding it vertically on the tires.

For the castor, it is best to have a CC gauge, again, if you don,t, you can manually measure the angle the top and bottom ball joints are on, the top should be leaning back. A couple of pieces of sheet metal under each wheel will help them revolve under load if using the CC gauge.

I spent a few years setting up my own oval track race cars, same stuff.

I hope this helps