Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Poor fitting front fender extensions

Yes, its another "Poor fitting <insert part name>" thread. This time its front fender extensions. Do these all fit this bad? I can tell from the paint line that it was a lousy fit when it was painted. Its hard to get the top to agree with the side. When fit, the top side looks low and creates nearly a 1/8" step.Has anyone got any tricks to bringing these things back in to line?

I'll confess, I did resort to some very careful and strategic malletizing but got nowhere. Am trying to avoid spreading filler as the car has already been painted. Was thinking about a large clamp with blocks and a plate on the opposite side to try and draw it up some.

Any other ideas? Heat and then apply dry ice? LOL

If they are the ones I'm thinking of they are a cast and will break if any undo hammering or pressure.I know its a pain but the fits are not the best,thats where the body work comes in.With new paint only you have the answer good luck.

Yes these are cast. The clamp trick worked very well and I would recommend it to anyone. Does require a little finesse but I was able to straighten a low area about 2" long across the top of the passenger side. However, I still have the step but at least its uniform now.

It seems when you torque these down, they seem to drop a bit out of alignment. Since the fender face mounting holes are so large was thinking on a bushing or tacking on plate and redrilling so they are in a fixed position. Anyone resorted to such lengths? I did read Cruzzars post who like me had become obsessed with correcting the fit on these.

Thats not the problem. I can loose fit my extensions fine. But when I torque down the nuts, it draws down the seal and the assembly drops and creates a step. It just doesnt stay in place when you tighten down the nuts. Anyone else seeing this? I'd be surprised if they didnt all do this.

Mike, I have had my vert for 30 years, and it has never been in an accident. I think everything on mine is like it was from the factory, and it still was no good. I would guess the parts never matched up perfect even new from the factory. I have about a 1/8 inch drop between some parts of the fender to my extensions. I think the tolerances on the fender dimensions were a lot larger than a good fit allows.

Understood, a guy could wrap up a lot of time in making these fair in with the fender or vice versa. These are original cast fender extensions.

The trim pieces (eyebrows)I bought are repos and they seem to fit okay but the very tip ends arent formed correctly to a point like OEM.