Sign in to follow this  
turboclevor

turboclevor's 69 coupe build

well i bought a 1969 mustang coupe in march with a 351 cleveland 4v and open headers. i had been looking for a project for over 2 years and one day i stumbled across a guy with this car sitting in the back of his property, we talked back and forth for a couple days i went up to see it and bought it.

when i got home i tore it down and immediately regretted it it was rusted all over collision damage and much more.

so here it goes.

[ATTACH]11844[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11845[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11846[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11847[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11848[/ATTACH]

more pics

[ATTACH]11849[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11850[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11851[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11852[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11853[/ATTACH]

i hope to get some feedback on my project tell me what you guys think

thanks,

Brandon

Mate all i can say is hang in there with the project. Iam in a similar position when i bought my 70 mach1. What ive done is made a resto list ( what parts i need and the cost of the build, and how i want my car to turn out). Atleast that way you have a starting point to your project, and know upfront what it will cost. Start small doing little jobs, that way you wont get dis-heartened in how big the job is.

I've got to say it doesn't look that bad. I saw the one large rust hole in the rear drivers floor pan but the rest of the floors don't look that bad. Just take your time and do one spot at a time.

As was stated above do a little at a time so you do not get overwhelmed. I started with my 69 Coupe as a shell that was being used as a parts car & I have been slowely doing the metal work.

keep your spirits up. i went had my car completely redone (metal and body work) and let it sit for a few years. a few years later i got the money to finish off the paint only to find out that ALL the metal work done was crap and had to be competely redone.

tackle one big project at a time. make a list of things and done move on till you get one scratched off.

progress is going to be slow for a while until i can get my suspension ordered and then i will have it installed. i am going with the new TCI 4 link rear suspension and the mustang II front suspension. before i do that though i have to find a 9 inch rear end, will have that soon.

today was ok i guess got the dash out, found more rust on the door than expected but its all good, and i also got bored yesterday and drew this fastback

my quick sketch of a custom boss 429 (obviously a (clone) never in my right mind would i customize a boss 429)

[ATTACH]12064[/ATTACH]

dash out of the car

[ATTACH]12065[/ATTACH]

inside the car with the dash out

[ATTACH]12066[/ATTACH]

this is just to show the size of the rust hole

[ATTACH]12067[/ATTACH]

On your last pic of the rust hole in the rear lower of the door you could just replace the door skin as long as the door shell is good. My r/s door on my 69 Coupe had 2 holes like that 1 in the front lower & 1 in the rear lower of the door & I replaced the door skin, was'nt very hard to do.

Would you need to replace the whole skin for holes that size?

Wouldn't it be better/easier to patch it?

I''m asking because I know I'm going to have to tackle this at some point.

I'm thinking that it might be easier to use coupe quarters and then insert the scoops into them. As for widening the quarters, that process is the same on either version of the quarter anyway. Just a thought.

I think he is talking about doing to his car like what they did on the show overhaulin where they cut a fastback quarter at the top body line & basically used it as a skin & put it on a Vert.