Sign in to follow this  
Daves69Coupe

leaking brake hose

Is there a crush washer on the other side of the brake hose connection? I'm not 100% sure you need one there just a thought. The calipers are cast steel and the hose connection looks like its also some sort of steel so there could be a burr in the caliper keeping it from sealing. Just a thought.

I'd check the master cylinder first, pretty common problem and easy to change.

If that's good, then the other thing I've had similar problems with is old brake hoses and lines. Although they looked good on the outside, they can rust/swell so much that they completely pinch off the fluid flow through the hose or line. Also easy to test just disconnect the hose or line at the wheel and step on the brake pedal and see if fluid comes out or not.

I'd check the master cylinder first, pretty common problem and easy to change.

If that's good, then the other thing I've had similar problems with is old brake hoses. Although they looked good on the outside, they can rust/swell so much that they completely pinched off the fluid flow through the hose. Also easy to test just disconnect the hose at the wheel and step on the brake pedal and see if fluid comes out or not.

master cylinder works for the front wheels. I see fluid fine but nothing to drums.

I was just pumping on the brakes more to try and get the fluid to the drums and heard a pop! The brake booster camea apart where the band goes around.

1 step forward, 2 back

well, I guess you found your problem eh... that's the nice thing about working on these old Fords, they seem to never miss an opportunity to break in unexpected ways...:scared:

still havent figured out why the rear lines arent filling with fluid.

why would a booster seperate at seam after pumping the brakes alot?

The distribution block looks fine, but it has no proportioning valve so it will not balance the brakes properly from front to rear. If your booster came apart after you rebuilt it then you did not put it back together correctly. If it is brand new then send it back for repair or replacement. Luckily it happened now and not while you are driving.

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder so that fluid came out of both the front and rear system? If yes then you have a blockage most probably in the rear flexible hose at the diff. They are notorious for swelling closed.

The distribution block looks fine, but it has no proportioning valve so it will not balance the brakes properly from front to rear. If your booster came apart after you rebuilt it then you did not put it back together correctly. If it is brand new then send it back for repair or replacement. Luckily it happened now and not while you are driving.

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder so that fluid came out of both the front and rear system? If yes then you have a blockage most probably in the rear flexible hose at the diff. They are notorious for swelling closed.

I bench bled the master cylinder and had fluid coming out of both ports. My car has disc fronts and rear drums so I shouldn't need proportioning valve.

There must be a blockage somewhere or you are not bleeding the brakes correctly.

Im gonna double check for blockages. I know theres a leak coming from somewheres near the distribution block because brake fluid was dripping off the frame rail under the dist block.

as far as bleedign brakes go im pretty sure theres only one way to do it.

All lines and master cylinder are new btw

Are all the lines new to the rear including the flex line at the rearend?

When I replace lines like these I blow air thru them before installing, One time I had a large wad of crap pop out of a hard line I had just bought from napa.

Are all the lines new to the rear including the flex line at the rearend?

When I replace lines like these I blow air thru them before installing, One time I had a large wad of crap pop out of a hard line I had just bought from napa.

every hardline in the car is new and front and rear hoses.

Once I get the new booster in and Ive bench bled the master cylinder again ill bolt everything back up and disconnect the line from the dist block that serves the rear lines. If fluid comes out when im pumping the brakes then it must be a blockage.