Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Best paint for 70 Mach 1 rocker panels?

Am nearly ready to start restoring my rocker panels. I searched around and apparently the base color is Fords dark argent while the raised fins and mach1 letters are light argent? Are the 70 headlight doors and grille painted this same dark argent color? Is there a spray product that's a dead-nuts match for this? I saw the Accumatch product on the CJP website and one reviewer claims it isn't a match at all. Any recommendations there?

Hmm, first I've heard of multiple colors on the fins of rocker panel trim. Got a link Mike?

As far as I know, the NPD mix for grille and rocker paint is about as close as you'll get to the original color. I've used the spray bombs with good results. The only thing that is a different color are the raised Mach 1 lettering on the front panels. The raised letters on those that have non-removable lettering is a silver color (can't remember the color, might be the light argent you are referring to) and the removable letters are chrome from what I recall.

You might register on the Mach 1 registry and go to their Restoration Tips section. It may have something on there to help. I forgot my username and password, otherwise I'd look on there for ya!

http://1970mach1.homestead.com/home.html

Also, the same grille and rocker paint is used for the headlight chrome and plastic trim as well as the top of the molding below the grille and the honeycomb panel in the taillight area.

May have been mistaken on the fins. Its only the raised letters on the rockers that are light argent? So all the following are the dark argent:

headlight doors

grille

top of lower grille trim

rocker panels

rear honeycomp panel

And the NPD product Medium Charcoal Metallic (AP-GPA) is the closest to correct thats available to order?

That is my understanding Mike. Here is a good link with a picture of an NOS front moulding with removable letters (no NOS pics of the cast letters), as well as a discussion below the shaker pictures of the argent paint: http://mustangsandmore.com/pages/Boss_and_Mach_Info.html

I found a quote from the Mach registry: Also originally the edges of the letters were chrome or shiny if the letters are the removable type or if the letterring is not removable all is dark argent.

Don't forget to paint the exposed areas of the rocker and parts of the jambs the same color.

Those pics are from a low mile original CJ car. Also attached are pics of the honeycomb (note black paint on taillight bezels compared to argent on honeycomb), and headlight area.

Wow - good detail pics, thanks. I bought 3 cans from NPD earlier. The shaker scoop was the same black as was on the hood, but the raised fins were painted right? I thought I had read thye were painted the light argent but cant find the thread where that was discussed.

Attached are pics of the shaker scoop. Let me know if you need pics of anything else on this car. Not sure on the paint color but it does appear to be the light argent, same color used on the removable rocker letters I believe.

One other question on this - the paint color looks great and it looks like the headlight doors and lower grille trim panel will get this color. After doing the headlight doors though, I realized this is a delicate coating and scratches very easily. The rockers will definitely need some protection. Is there a clear matte finish that this can be top coated with?

I took the can over to my local paint shop and they told me there is no compatible automotive finish that I could topcoat with and I would probably have to use a rattle can clear. I doubt that will do much to protect the rockers. I am having them match NPD's rattle can color in a basecoat and I will clear it. If they can mix an acceptable match, my next deal will be finding a way to flatten the clear gloss economically.

Before you pick a line of paint, ask them if that line has a flattening agent available. If you want cheaper than that, ask/look into adding talcum powder to the clear. I personally haven't done it but recall it being an old school way of adjusting the gloss of clear.

Also, if they get the paint that close be sure to post up the mix and paint line!

Picked it up today and its spot on. Its very close to a Hyundai color but they did tint it. Its PPG Omni Plus and the base Hyundai color is 915527.

They didn't have a flattener for the Omni clear. They did tell me that I could add a little of the clear hardener to the basecoat for a single stage type application. It would add a little more gloss to the basecoat and would also make it a more durable finish. I plan to experiment with it. I never thought I'd have to be concerned with too much gloss.

Well I went back and forth on this (as I usually do) and finally just decided to paint them as is. They are down low and the rest of the car is glossy so why not? Came out pretty slick.

I used a small piece of flat wood with a 1/8" thick piece of rubber attached and did the lettering like an ink stamp. The second came out better than the first but this is very doable for anyone that was dreading masking it off or brushing it by hand.