Sign in to follow this  
zanado

cooling

My question is on my 351w I have a 4 blade fan but would like more cooling in the city.Would I benifit by going to a 5 or 6 blade fan or look at electric fans for more cooling.I dont have a cooling issue yet but hate watching the temp gauge crawl up when in the city stop and go traffic Thanks for any comments John

I put the biggest size/cfm electric fan I could fit into mine and it never kept the engine temps cool while idling in traffic it would always creep up and up.

After several failed upgrade attempts, I wound up pulling it back out and installing a Flex-a-lite mechanical blade fan. Since then, I haven't had any more overheating problems.

I have a 302 with a 5 blade fan and never have any trouble in traffic when the AC is off. With it on, though, I see it start creeping up. Fortunately the days you need AC and stuck in traffic are not too common in Minneapolis. You can try a 5 blade fan, they are easy to come by and cheap. I might even have one I could part with if you are interested.

If you don't have a shroud installed already, do that first to see if it helps. The 5 or 6 blade fans will help more than your 4 blade, but they are still limited at low RPMs.