Sign in to follow this  
mwye0627

Dash Pad Repair

Hi Everyone....

My dash pad is perfect except that it is broken out all around the perimeter of the speaker holes.

Does anyone have a technique to repair that area or to completely remove the speaker holes and fill the area in with something else?

I've thought that if I could adequately fill that area I could hide part of it with a 3 gauge pod or something and save the cost of a complete new dash pad.

I really don't like the idea of the plastic dash covers that they sell...

Thanks,

Mike Wyese

1969 Mustang Coupe

302-c4

Soon to be 347 - 4r70w - 8.8 rear

with 3.73 traction-lok and disc brakes

Don't be hatin' on the plastic dash covers. Just kidding but seriously they are an adequate solution if you don't want to put the money out for a new dash pad or to pay to have yours professionally restored. I had a dash coverlay in my '70 vert for a while and no one could tell that it was plastic unless they touched it. Just by looking at it you wouldn't notice much of a difference.

The issue with the speaker holes is common and there's no way to repair it and make it look good unless you have it professionally restored where they strip the vinyl and vacuum form new vinyl to it and that would cost more that it wold to buy a new Ford tooling dash pad. I think a plastic cover would be great if you don't want to spend the money on a new dash pad right now.

In fact I just put a plastic cover on the dash pad of my Torino and I love the way it looks. Again that's just my two cents.

I've seen where someone put a 3 guage pod where the speaker goes. I asked him about it and he said he did it for several reasons.

1. He has back deck and door speakers now and didn't need it.

2. His dash was messed up in that area.

3. He wanted a guage pod in an area that was easy to see without taking his eyes off the road., and there really isn't a good place to put a 3 guage pod in a 69 without cutting something up.

Makes sense to me. I'll probably do the same if my car gets the same issues.