Sign in to follow this  
1969mustang

Vintage air install tips

I just got my vintage air the other day in the mail and I am planning on putting it in next week. I know some of you guys on here have installed it so I thought it would be a good idea to ask for tips or if their is anything I need to know to help the process go along as smooth as possible.

Thanks,

Drew

First off. this is a quality kit and planning is everything. Rushing it will cause mistakes. It was not my experience though since I planned well and had lots of time to keep stepping back and looking. There are some little adjustments is what they told me when it didnt go perfectly. Not much tweeking was really needed but I originally thought none would be required. I would make sure you have every part that it shows on the many install instructions. They missed a couple parts but they are the only ones who can supply. My AC has not been charged yet so I cannot speak on the performance. It wont be long till I get that done. A few of the instruction sheets could have used better illustrations and a few additional but it still went together smooth. I kept my notes on the install sheets which may be of help.

Good Luck and pictures go a long way. I have many so let me know what your looking for,

Well according to my girlfriend I don't get in a hurry for anything so I think I'll be okay even though my patiences do wear thin every now and then. Thanks for the info I will be sure to check and see if I have everything that is supposed to come with the kit. I'm curious to see how it is going to do with my big cam. I think I have a solution if the compressor drags the engine down to much at idle. I've got an old autolite carb with a contraption on it that bumps the idle up with a 12 volt signal.

With this kit was there any modification of the car required, besides a drain hole?

I depends if you are doing the full kit and if you already have any AC on the car. I installed most of the kids so far (underdash unit, AC Ducts and vents and installed the compressor on the motor) I have a bit more to do before finishing it up.

For me here were a couple of things. The vents that installed on the lower dhas were hard to get installed with the screw on back plates. Could have been just where I drill the holes, but I used the template and there was a lot fo curve on that portion of the dash and it was tough to get the vents tightend up properly, just took some time to get it.

As for the center vent, I had a new dash coming, so I cut up the old dash to make sure I knew what to do before ruining a new dash pad. As for I actually installed those vents a little lower they they recommended as it seemed to look better and fit the contour of the dash a little better.

Other than that everything else went in pretty smooth.

Good luck

Scott