Sign in to follow this  
49cad

Passing on my hours of 1969 FB Interior quarter panel research, please read!

I just finished restoring my 69 Mach 1 428 CJ. (Two trophies already)

I am not happy with the way the interior quarter panels fit, so I am shit canning them and adding them to my long list of items I have had to buy two or three times before I find a reproduction that come close to 40 YEAR OLD FORD MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY.

The set I have installed now (bought in 2006 /installed 2012) are plastic vacuum formed and are so bad, the fold down seat falls between them when installed.

I have researched and found what I think are the best three Manufactures:

Dynacorn / $320

http://stores.kentuckymustang.com/-strse-22281/No/Detail.bok

Scott Drake / $339

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Product/C9ZZ-6331486%2f7P.aspx?wid=141

California Pony parts/ $205

http://www.calponycars.com/prodDetail.php?prodId=112

This last one made by california pony cars is the exact one National Parts Depot sells (part# 31486-7-4) for $265!!, BUYER BEWARE!

The top two seem to be a heavy molded panel as apposed to the cheap thin vacuum formed panels that are going for $200 bucks everywhere.

Has anybody seen or installed any of these three of have a

recommendation for another manufacturer.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by 49cad

So are you looking for the originals? I have a set, that I have had since 1976, when I bought an entire interior out of a mustang with the fold down seats. I have used the far back pieces, but will retain my originals that I have on the car now. Ya, they are not new, but they are original. I will take a look tomorrow as they are in the top of my garage.

So are you looking for the originals? I have a set, that I have had since 1976, when I bought an entire interior out of a mustang with the fold down seats. I have used the far back pieces, but will retain my originals that I have on the car now. Ya, they are not new, but they are original. I will take a look tomorrow as they are in the top of my garage.

The problem is that when the grain is worn off the fiberglass,

it can't be restored as far as I know.

Please let me know how the grain looks.

Thanks!

I can't remember who sells them, but there are fiberglass repros available also. I would expect them to be much more solid than the vacuum formed plastic ones. Unless someone has actually laid hands on the plastic ones, I would assume they are too flimsy to hold up the fold down seat.

I can't remember who sells them, but there are fiberglass repros available also. I would expect them to be much more solid than the vacuum formed plastic ones. Unless someone has actually laid hands on the plastic ones, I would assume they are too flimsy to hold up the fold down seat.

The fiberglass repops all have a disclamer that they will take work to make fit.

I think that is code for "you get what you pay for" since they are usually about half the price of the others.

I saw a molded heavy set a few years ago that looked great.

Wish I could find those!

There is a seller on ebay named fishfarts that sells them every so often that states they are the best. I didn't just checked and he doesn't currently have a listing. Has anyone used one of his sets?

Thanks,

I will keep an eye out.

Hopefully someone will have a first hand recommendation from one of the

sources listed.

i have bought the expensive abs from npd. the grain does not match original, they are flimsy, and the bends do not match the original back panels. i sent them back.

i have bought the fiberglass panels from mr mustang. i believe they are the suppliers to everyone else who sells the fiberglass panels. those panels are absolute crap. the surfaces are not finished. in some spots the panel was just unfinished rough resin. the panels were warped and twisted, because they were removed from the mold to soon and the cure process had not been completed. i sent those back.

my suggestion would be to get a good repairable set of originals. reinforce the back side in the week spots. strip off the original paint with easy off. repair any stress cracks with fiber reinforced body filler. paint to match. mine look brand new and they fit.

Edited by 69mi

i have bought the expensive abs from npd. the grain does not match original, they are flimsy, and the bends do not match the original back panels. i sent them back.

i have bought the fiberglass panels from mr mustang. i believe they are the suppliers to everyone else who sells the fiberglass panels. those panels are absolute crap. the surfaces are not finished. in some spots the panel was just unfinished rough resin. the panels were warped and twisted, because they were removed from the mold to soon and the cure process had not been completed. i sent those back.

my suggestion would be to get a good repairable set of originals. reinforce the back side in the week spots. strip off the original paint with easy off. repair any stress cracks with fiber reinforced body filler. paint to match. mine look brand new and they fit.

Thanks, but I have my original set and the grain is damaged and worn off.

You were very lucky to have a nice set to restore.

Has anybody seen one of the Mustang magazines do a comparison test on these crap reproductions out there? I haven't, and I think they don't because they don't want to piss off their advertisers.

We need to find a mustang restoration shop that has bought all of these (and others) that can tell us which ones to buy.

It turns out that Scott Drake buys his from Dynacorn so they are the exact

same interior quarter panel.

This Dynacorn sounds like the best but you need to epoxy reinforcement metal pieces to the back to add strength. At least you can make them fit if you want to put the time into it.

I was told by a restoration shop that Daniel Carpenter is looking into making these but sounds like a long way off.

The ones NPD sells for $265 are made by california pony Cars and you can buy them direct for $205 if you want to buy junk for less.

The owner of this company just died so they might be off the market soon anyway.

Just got an E-mail from fishfarts and he is going to start making the panels again real soon. Price will be $235 for 3 pieces (fold down seat). I have asked him for some close up pics of the panels to see the grain. I also told him about this discussion so maybe he will chime in on the whole process -- maybe even offer us a HUGE discount [fingers crossed].

I was invited here to the forum to talk about the parts that I make for classic mustangs. I produce quite a few parts for the 69/70 mustang. But to stick to the subject, I have a pic of the rear fold down panels grain. I make all three rear pieces.

I have a Dynacorn dealer that is 15 miles from my house. I am going down there to see what he has on hand, and see what his would look like compared to the originals on my car. I have the originals off, so a side by side comparison should be easy.

Here are some comparison pics. My panels are injection molded using ABS. These are not Vacuum Formed! The original panels were SMC (sheet moled compound). My panels are as rigid as the originals, but will not crack as the oem parts do. I understand everyones concern out there about the junk that is sold. I have sold hundreds of these panels, with one return. The one return I had the guy said he found better ones. I don't believe it. If anyone here on the forum buys a set and is not happy, I will refund the money and pay the return shipping! I have a few 1970 mustangs and make parts that I use. Thanks Rob

Here are some comparison pics. My panels are injection molded using ABS. These are not Vacuum Formed! The original panels were SMC (sheet moled compound). My panels are as rigid as the originals, but will not crack as the oem parts do. I understand everyones concern out there about the junk that is sold. I have sold hundreds of these panels, with one return. The one return I had the guy said he found better ones. I don't believe it. If anyone here on the forum buys a set and is not happy, I will refund the money and pay the return shipping! I have a few 1970 mustangs and make parts that I use. Thanks Rob

Hi Rob,

Please note that this thread is about the front interior quarter panels that support the fold down seat.

Those are the ones that are all junk repops.:shit:

I would be very interested in seeing the pictures of these front panels we are looking for.

You do make them right?

Agree - I also need a nice set of the large interior 1/4 panels that hold the rear seat when folded down. I do have a very nice set of OEM, with the exception that somebody cut small holes and installed a set of the sail panel lights in them. I am considering removing the lights and putting some kind of emblem over the holes, but I would prefer ones w/o holes. So sign me up too!

I was invited here to the forum to talk about the parts that I make for classic mustangs. I produce quite a few parts for the 69/70 mustang. But to stick to the subject, I have a pic of the rear fold down panels grain. I make all three rear pieces.

Hi GB 302, great timing as I just picked up a fold down seat for my 70 fastback.

Now need the 3 panels.

What are you showing in the second photo?

Do you have a link to your site and do you ship international?

Thanks John