Sign in to follow this  
388C

4r70w swap 351c what headers?

Did the swap over the weekend. My hooker super comps I had on my C4 will not work with the 4r70w. Motor is a stroked 351C to 388c with Chi 208 heads. Suggestions on Headers? The super comps were to tight up against the pan and now the car sits until I can find a header replacement.

Motor is stroked to 388 and put down 570hp at the crank. Going to a 1/34 header is a option, but prefer to try and figure out something with out choking the motor.

Thanks Dave.

Isn't the AOD about the same size as the 4R70W? My Hooker Super Comps cleared my AOD fine with lots of room but not much else. Had clearance problems with idler arm, steering box, pitman arm, etc. And after I nearly destroyed them getting the clearance I needed, found that they hung too low. Life sucks.

I went with Sandersons.

I got the Optishift controller with the transmission. I have a exhaust shop looking at it next week. They think they can tweak the Super comps over enough to make it work. currently the pipes are right ontop of the transmission range sensor and right up against the pan on both sides. I got everything else hooked up today and all that is left is the exhaust.

Will keep you guys updated when It gets done.

Cool. I have an AOD with my FE and the FPA tri-y's clear the header with lots of room to spare. I don't understand why some headers won't clear and others will. You would think the manufacturers would be more consistent in the placement of the collectors. Oh well.

Mike, the 4R70W as far as I know is physically the same size as the AOD. But, this is a fully electronic version so there are external connectors that cause clearance problems in some applications. Thanks Ford:gun_bandana:

Bruce

Sanderson headers told me they had them in stock. when I called them on monday they told me they made a mistake and it will be two weeks to get them. Going to be cutting it real close to july 13th. I am going to power cruise @ Brainerd MN. My engine was built by Dave storlien at Porting Dynamics Racing Engines Maple Grove, MN. He made his own kit. Not real sure everything he used. Its held up for two years and still running awsome so im happy with it. Will keep you guys updated once I get the headers on and get the exhaust finished up on it.

I knew it! I think that's a con man... They did the same thing to me. When I called them on the phone, Yeah, we got them. Will have them coated this week and in the mail next week......4 + weeks later....after I called and complained....did they finally show up. It could have been 5 weeks. Can't remember...

Yup, I think they sucker you with the "yeah, we have them", get your credit card info, then send them when they get to it. Other than the extra weeks of waiting on them, they are the only thing that worked for my 351C. The FPA's rubbed.

^^^^^ This is true.

I purchased my Sanderson FC-4's w/coating (Century Performance )on 5/29 and they arrived yesterday. It took exactly 4 weeks. They fed me the same line as they did Cupid and yes they took my $$$ up front. I think they're worth the wait. They sure are pretty and the only thing I found that would work with my combo. The guy at Century was cool too.

Got the headers today. Look great, but cannot get the bolt in on the second one in on the bottom. Shock tower is in the way and there is no room to get a wrench or socket on the bolt. The header tube is up so close to the hole can't even get my fingers in there to push the bolt up and turn it. Looking at pulling the motor up and trying to get it on. Spent 5 hours on it and it was the last bolt for me to try to get in on that side. Any one else have problems with getting the bolts in on these headers?

I'm a tiny guy so between getting beneath the car and laying on top of the engine bay, I was able to get it on. I did not tighten any of the bolts until I got all of them started You should have received very small "12-point" header flange bolts. Did you not?

I got the small header bolts. I was trying everything to get the last one in. I took it all off again and put a stud in the hole. Lifted the motor up on one side and slid the header in place on the stud. Then to my surprise. None of the other holes lined up. A quick trip over to the drill press. Fixed that hole and all was good. Got both headers on today and took the car off the hoist. I missed my exhaust appointment and they cant fit me in until next Wednesday. So this weekend I will be tieing up any wires and cleaning everything up. Everything else is done. Seems to be working. Cant wait to try it out on the road.

Got the exhaust done and got to play with it for a day. I put in the High rev 4v Cobra program they had in the Optishift data base. Had to tweak the program and raise the shift points. The base program is for a stocker and the shifts were happening way to fast under part throttle. Once I raised the points for part throttle the transmission came to life and worked awsome. The car is running 2000-22000 rpm @ 60mph when I go into overdrive and lockup. Thanks for the help all. Dave.

I dont have any pics of the exhaust right now sorry. Will try to get some this up coming weekend. I am running a 3.89 gear in the back of the car and the 23 tooth gear on the speedo. Its on until 55mph then it is about 5 mph off. Checked it with a garmin gps.