Sign in to follow this  
Jimjific

Break Bleeding Help

Hello All,

Man, this one has me stumped and frustrated.

Background:

-My car had four wheel manual drum brakes.

-I bought a set of used stock front disc brakes.

What I've done:

-I put the new (to me) brakes and spindles on.

-Put new flexible lines on.

-Put new hard line in in drivers side and passenger side up to the coupling.

-Used the old master cylinder to bleed the brakes and ran it for a little bit and it locked the fronts because it was for a drum brake set-up.

-Bought a new master cylinder for manual disc brakes.

-Bench bleed it on the car.

-Made new hard lines to the junction block.

-Vacuum bleed the brakes by myself. With no luck.

-Had my friend help me bleed everything again starting with pass. rear. We tried several different methods. We don't seem to see any air.

After all this, I still have no pedal. It goes to the floor. You can pump it and start to get some pressure but the as soon as you let off the brake it's back to the floor. I've never had this much trouble trying to bleed brakes. I don't see any leaks anywhere.

One weird thing is the new master cylinder doesn't have a catch for the clip that is on the push rod like the manual M.C. did.

I do not have a proportioning valve can this be the problem? I'm not sure why that would cause me to have no break though.

Any help is appreciated,

Jim

sometimes, bench bleeding the master on the car using the pedal doesnt work. you may not get the full stroke on the piston to get it properly bled. not sure what kind of issues you would have with the drum/drum dist valve on a disc system. i've heard some say they remove the guts & simply use it as a junction with a seperate adjustable prop valve for the rear...

I'm not sure why a proportioning valve would have any influence on the breaks making pressure since it just controls the balance of how the breaks work together. This is something I was going to address later.

As for the calipers being on wrong, is that possible? The calipers came mounted on the spindles when I got them. this doesn't mean that they are right though. I don't have a picture, but I will look at others to see if I have them on wrong.

I think I might un hook the lines and plug the master cylinder to see if it build pressure then connect one line and check again then switch to the other line and check it again. This would help debug where the problem is.

Thanks,

Jim

If you're still stuck after the above, I recommend removing the master and bench bleeding it. Should only take a few minutes.

Also, it's possible that the new master is bad (not common, but I've seen it happen), or the push rod isn't the correct length for it.

When you bleed the brakes does anything fluid or otherwise come out? If not it is most probably you have not primed the master cylinder properly. I have had to bench bleed a master cylinder for an hour before the bastard would build up pressure.

Grabber70, I think you got it right. I haven't had a chance to actually work on them, but I looked at them last night and yes, they are put on wrong. I feel like an idiot for two reasons, one, I assumed that the assy's I got were put on right and two I noticed I've been spelling brake, "break". I'm no English scholar but that is inexcusable.

I hope to work on it tonight and will post an update.

Thanks everyone,

Jim

I feel like an idiot for two reasons, one, I assumed that the assy's I got were put on right and two I noticed I've been spelling brake, "break". I'm no English scholar but that is inexcusable.Jim

Lol. If that's the biggest mistake you make this week, you'll be doing just fine.