Sign in to follow this  
pimpinx7

What does a Sith Lord drive?

forgot to update.. i havent touched the car all week, because i was restoring a horse trailer for a friend.. it sucked lol!

so this it what i got done prior to that..

got the squirrel poo covered drivetrain pulled. got it done in about 3.5 hours.. including a huge mess of trans fluid! i told my cousin to drain it while i got the bay cleared out but, he forgot to, and i forgot to ask lol! oh well.. atleast it came out easy

7470894940_54cf89d1b1_z.jpg

IMAG0417 by pimpinx7, on Flickr

yay empty bay

7470889696_03f458fe74_z.jpg

IMAG0416 by pimpinx7, on Flickr

got the front end all torn down minus the suspension. i left it in for measurements for some plans i have (evil laugh)

7470889602_636fe722bb_z.jpg

IMAG0425 by pimpinx7, on Flickr

then i tested some paint to see if i liked it.. and i DO!!! its the closest to battleship grey i could find

7470889790_c2c8bdc212_z.jpg

IMAG0430 by pimpinx7, on Flickr

and ill let it slip. my plans are to go sn95 suspension up front. got my spindles and hubs for it.. there off a 98.. i know the 94-95 is different than 96-98 front geometry wise, so we'll see where it goes from here. all i see is that it may encounter bumpsteer sooner. but thats not anything that cant be overcome..

7470889864_abbb64ca69_z.jpg

IMAG0433 by pimpinx7, on Flickr

Edited by pimpinx7

thanks man! i dont loose motivation very quick.. i try to stick to what i gotta do.. as for rust i started knocking down some of the big stuff with a hand wire brush, and started with some pretty aggressive grit sand paper.. i just started one panel, and i got it to where i have shiny rust. next im going to lay down some rust remover. and see how the light stuff comes off

thanks for the tip man! the whole car is like that.. i knew it would be the biggest part of the resto but for $1500 i dont think i could have came across a better 69 coupe. the only other nice one i found was $3k. it had all the metal work done.. but its no fun imo to just buy a car. i'd rather put blood sweat and tears into one

got the interior all gutted out finally..

nude shot lol!

7651103802_7c1aa350b6_z.jpg

IMAG0463 by pimpinx7, on Flickr

and i found a huge broke piece of bone hidden where the dash speaker would have been.. pretty sure dude was a serial killer lol!

7651100498_b2f0ba2ef0_z.jpg

IMAG0460 by pimpinx7, on Flickr

and i went and got my dash cover too.. its for a car with a/c. its what i wanted though so i can mount gauges in the dash.. here is the old dash.. ouch!

7651122166_cf38896e9d_z.jpg

IMAG0461 by pimpinx7, on Flickr

and the cover and mocked dash

7663218702_6089e11682_z.jpg

IMAG0465 by pimpinx7, on Flickr

as a little experiment, i tested out "naval jelly" rust remover to see what it would do on my car, since the rust was pretty advance. i sanded it down a little with 80 grit.. and yes it took that to get the rust down even a little. anyway after i put down the first coat i worked it in with some steel wool and let it sit for 10 min. i was pretty unhappy with the results. so i did it three more time.. and here is the result

7688312484_c43f143902_z.jpg

IMAG0470 by pimpinx7, on Flickr

it did convert all the rust to a neutral paintable surface, obviously it needs lots of work, but as far as rust it did its job. the catch was i had to use a whole bottle just to do half the hood. so for those who wondered if this stuff works.. it does. it just takes patience and i could see it costing $150-$200 and a lot of time, but it beats spending $1500 on blasting if your on a budget.. but if you can afford it blasting would be way the way to go.

Well, I haven't posted in a while. So here is a short update. Today I started pulling the motor apart, and got some good news. Turns out my car has a Mexican block. Saw the stamp in the valley! Kinda made my day! Just thought I'd share LOL!

it did convert all the rust to a neutral paintable surface, obviously it needs lots of work, but as far as rust it did its job.

what do you mean by a neutral paintable surface? if it's not silver like the metal you sanded, then the rust is still there.

Answer me this first.. would you consider that left side as rust free? The guy I talked to about using the naval jelly said it would still have a redish discoloured appearance after I was done. Are you implying that I should take it down further? This is my first time in dealing with rust anywhere near this bad.

It's tough to tell through a picture but there looks to be some rust colored areas on the left side starting about halfway back. I would feel more comfortable using a DA and getting all of the paint, rust and bondo off so it's down to bare clean metal.

Answer me this first.. would you consider that left side as rust free? The guy I talked to about using the naval jelly said it would still have a redish discoloured appearance after I was done. Are you implying that I should take it down further? This is my first time in dealing with rust anywhere near this bad.

i would need a closeup picture to be able to tell how clean it is. it's not easy to remove deep pitted rust.

if you see dark pepper spots, then i believe the rust is still there. naval jelly is basically one way they've packaged up phosphoric acid. what you will notice is the clean metal will have a slight black or bluish tint to it (it's basically been phosphated, just like what we do to things like hood hinges and shock tower caps). the rust pits will turn darker black. those really dark pits of rust have had their surface converted or phosphated. however just below that converted surface is rust that hasn't been removed yet.

if you see those dark spots, keep working those with a fine wire brush and whatever acid product you are using (naval jelly in this case). you will notice brown stuff will keep coming out. eventually that really dark pit will look like clean metal that's been phosphated.

Thanks buckeye! That's just the info I needed! And that's what I was trying to get across when I said " converted ". I know I can just get new panels, so it was more of a test. There are much worse parts on the body. I'm looking into getting the roof and pillars blasted, if I can afford it!

i've seen many cars on tv and pictures on the internet after they had them media blasted and could still see heavy speckles of brown where the blaster didn't get it all out. so if you do get it professionally blasted (i hope they don't warp it) then be prepared to still have to treat the metal.

Yay me! I got a job again!!! Now I can get back to my build.

Considering the overall poor state of my shell, I belive I will be getting a nicer shell soon. Id like to get the car on the road before I die, so it just seems logical to me. I can get a relatively rust free shell for around $1500 from prestige..