Sign in to follow this  
1BAD351

V6 or V8 Steering... Need some help

Hey guys I'm in the process of completely redoing my front end and I was wanting to replace all my steering lines and cylinder but I'm not sure if it has the V6 or V8 parts right now. I have a few questions.

1) What are the benefits to having V8 steering over V6 (my car was a V6 and now has a V8 in it)

2) How can I convert to the V8 steering if I have V6 steering, is the pump the same, lines etc.

3) How can I tell if I have the V8 or the V6 steering in the car now?

TIA

Do you mean a "straight" or "inline" six cylinder engine? The lines to and from the pump will be different. I would go with the V8 lines for your application like those for a 302 or 351W.

To ID your steering gear box, there should be a metal tag attached to one of the top gear box cover bolts. The tag is very similar in size to the tag on your rear differential of on the engine under the ignition coil. The tag will have a three digit letter code that you can look up and determine if you have a quick ratio box or the standard ration box. Bruce

Edited by LindenBruce

My car was originally a 250 6. I heard those got the V8 brakes, did they get V8 steering components too apart from the different length lines? If that's the case that's awesome and makes things a lot easier.

Do you mean a "straight" or "inline" six cylinder engine? The lines to and from the pump will be different. I would go with the V8 lines for your application like those for a 302 or 351W.

To ID your steering gear box, there should be a metal tag attached to one of the top gear box cover bolts. The tag is very similar in size to the tag on your rear differential of on the engine under the ignition coil. The tag will have a three digit letter code that you can look up and determine if you have a quick ratio box or the standard ration box. Bruce

I can't believe I'm asking this, but I always thought straight and inline were the same thing. What's the difference?

Oh and would it be worth swapping in a quick ratio box? I feel like it takes forever to turn the wheels. I actually have a spare steering box I wonder which it is.

Here's my spare box:

th_100_2550.jpg

th_100_2549.jpg

th_100_2548.jpg

Edited by 1BAD351

Straight and Inline are the same, but your title said V6, this is two banks opposed in a V, like the V8. A V6 was not offered in a Mustang until fourth gen. 1994, IIRC.

There were also slant sixes btw. Chrysler was mostly famous for this. The cylinders were inline but were not straight up and down.

I can't believe I'm asking this, but I always thought straight and inline were the same thing. What's the difference?

Verb-age. I have seen them called both so I used both terms just avoid any confusion with other readers. Bruce

There were also slant sixes btw. Chrysler was mostly famous for this. The cylinders were inline but were not straight up and down.

Let's confuse him more. There are also flat 6s, 2 banks of 3 cylinders each in opposition horizontally. Found in corvairs & porsches.

Straight and Inline are the same, but your title said V6, this is two banks opposed in a V, like the V8. A V6 was not offered in a Mustang until fourth gen. 1994, IIRC.

Oh god... I didn't even realize I said that. I've been spending too much time on newer stang forums since I got my 2000. I have to get back to the real cars and get my mind outta the gutter.