Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

Removing Intake Manifold sealed with RTV

First time doing this.

I've got my intake manifold stripped down and I removed the bolts and nuts on the studs.

I tried to knock it loose when I found it had been sealed on with what seems like a lot of black RTV since it has oozed out in a lot of places.

I don't want to damage anything so where is the best place to get leverage to pull it off? Can I do this with the valve covers and heads in place?

Thanks,

Ed

IF there are studs, still in they will prevent you from lifting one side (they are there to make sure the intake is installed straight down). You might have enough wiggle room but it'll be close. You can remove an intake w/o removing heads/valve covers, I would remove the carb and use those studs to lift straight up, maybe with a friend prying (gently) under the front of the intake, it will prob take a good bit of effort to break it loose- once the rtv looses its grip it'll pop right off. If you don't have a friend, or aren't strong enough to pop it loose you could use a cherry picker/engine hoist (again lifting straight up)