Sign in to follow this  
rmarks

Conv Bolt-in Door Glass Swap

I have all the parts to swap my glue-in door glass to '70 bolt-in glass for my convertible (alignment issues even after regluing) and I'm wondering what folks have done with the stainless trim and weatherstripping from the '69 door glass...

Did you install it on the '70 glass, or swap the rear quarter windows to '70 glass as well to have it like the '70 set up (no trim on the door glass; trim on rear quarter window), or keep it like the '69 set up?

I ask because the stainless trim and weather stripping for the '69 door glass hangs down on the bottom of the glass about 3 inches without attaching to the glass because the bottom of the '70 glass is cut at an angle vs. straight on on the '69.

Edited by rmarks

Rich, I've never done the swap but I do own a full set of '70 glass (I plan on using the original '69 glass but keep the '70 as plan B, just in case)

Comparing the 2 sets side-by-side, it's apparent that both front and rear windows are different dimensions. Therefore, I've always felt that all 4 windows should be replaced together, and the 1970 stainless should be used (keep in mind, I've never actually done it). In other words, the complete 1970 setup.

The reason is the '70 door glass is longer than the '69, and the '70 quarter glass is shorter than the '69. So, if you pair the '70 door and '69 quarter, you gain about 1/2" of total glass, no matter where you put the stainless.

Here's a shot of the door glass, side by side. You can see the '69 glass is clearly shorter, and the stainless makes up the difference.

And here's the back glass, the 1970 with the weatherstripping, the 1969 without. Sorry for the crappy pictures but you can see how adding the stainless to the '69 glass will make it wider than original, which paired with the wider '70 door glass might be problematic...

Edited by 69RavenConv

I aquired a set of 70 bolt in glass to do the swap on my 69 Coupe when I start putting it back together & was told at the time to replace front & rear glass to the 70 bolt in style.

Yes you need the rear coupe glass when you switch over. 2. Be aware the 70 rear glass is glue in. When I bought mine I passed on the rear thinking it was wrong (got mine used) Only later did I discover I needed the rear glass and it is indeed glue in style (never had the rear fail though) I used 69 regulators FWIW

FYI you may have alignment issues using coupe quarter windows in a convertible. Here is a link to this topic where I have photos showing the difference. I have heard of people using coupe quarter glass on bolt in conversions but you may have to spend some time on getting the alignment right.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=9151&highlight=convertible+glass