Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

Torino Questions

So while I sit and wait for the job situation to straighten out, I'm eyeballing my next project. I know on a previous thread I was going to start building my "dream" car from a '67 Mustang. After a lot of thought and talking it over with the wife, I've decided that my next project will be a '70-'71 Torino. I'm a big guy and Mustangs are just too small for me the wife and two kids, so I want something a little bigger so I can tote the whole family around to shows and events.

I registered with the two major Torino forums over a week ago and the admins still have not approved my account so I can't post questions there. But I'm sure with the knowledge of this group someone will have the answers.

I already have the car picked out, '71 Torino, if it's still available by the time I find out my future at my job. So in the mean time I'm planning out the project. My intention is to completely black out the car. A buddy of mine has a set of black 17" rims that came off of his '69 Mach 1 CJ. He's offered them up to me so my first question is, will they fit a '71 Torino? Is the backsapce the same? My thinking is that they would be.

The next question, and I'm throwing a hail marry here with this Mustang crowd is, are Torino GT style hoods the same from '70-'71?

The car I'm currently looking at is an all original Torino 500 with a standard hood and I would want to swap it out for a GT hood.

Below I have attached two pictures. One is of the actual rims on the Mustang they came off of, the other is a picture of a different Torino that is my inspiration for my build and I Photochopped the rims onto that car to see how they would look.

i just sold my 17" wheels last weekend to guy with a 70 torino gt. they were 17x9.5" with 285/40-17's, wheels had a 6" backspace & fit on the torino was perfect! looked better on it than on the mustang.... fronts were 17x8" with a 4.5" backspace & no issues up front either.

i just sold my 17" wheels last weekend to guy with a 70 torino gt. they were 17x9.5" with 285/40-17's, wheels had a 6" backspace & fit on the torino was perfect! looked better on it than on the mustang.... fronts were 17x8" with a 4.5" backspace & no issues up front either.

The rims he has are 17x8 with a 4.5" backspace. I was pretty sure they'd fit since Ford didn't make that many changes to these cars and a ton of parts are interchangeable.

The Torino I'm looking at is an all original car with 21k original miles on it. The downside is that it's a Torino 500 and isn't the sportsroof style. It's also an ugly light green metallic with black and red interior. But my body guy has already looked at the car and there isn't one spec of rust in it. He said the body is perfect. Given that I'm going to restomod it, it would be the perfect candidate.

the 17x8 with 4.5" backspace has the exact same measurement "outboard" of the mounting pad as the 17x9.5 with 6" backspace, so you shouldn't have any problems. i meant to add that the torino here had the stock fenderlips with stainless trim & still had good sidewall clearance. the guy that owns this car bought it new in dec 69 & has had it all these years. wish i had gotten a couple pics while it was here...

Your inspiration car is on Ebay right now. You probably know this but if anyone else wants to see more pics. Pretty sweet. I like them a lot myself.

Rev,

I had been searching the net for Torinos and getting ideas when I came across this one on Ebay. It's not the first time the car has been on Ebay either. I just don't like the 20" rims on the front and the 22" rims on the back. Not a fan of overly large wheels. So I think the 17" rims will work out well.

So I can't find a decent Torino forum anywhere. I've registered with the two main ones that I know of and they just aren't as good as this site is for Mustangs. So I'm hoping some guys here will know the answers to some simple questions.

1. The car I'm looking at has the regular Torino hood and I'll want to swap it out with a GT style hood (if I can find one). My assumption is that the GT hoods are the same for 70/71 and should be a direct bolt-on. Is this correct?

2. I want to do away with the standard side mirrors and swap them for a set of sport mirrors (again assuming I can find them). My assumption as well as that these sport mirrors are the same for 70/71, correct?