Sign in to follow this  
SELLERSRODSHOP

yet another wheel/tire thread...

well, i sold my wheels yesterday. as a few already know via PM conversations, i was never happy from day one with the diameter in the rear. i had 17x9.5 wheels with 285/40-17 tires. the tires are all advertised to be 26" in diameter, but in all actuality, they are lucky to hit 25" on a good day. with the car lowered 2", the tires still looked swamped in the fenderwells. here is the look i wasn't happy with:

IMG_2201.jpg

before lowering, way too much space...

IMG_2149.jpg

i'm thinking of ordering new 18" wheels & maybe even go to 20" on the rear to get the proper diameter (i know many here don't like 20's, lol!) for "the look". i've seen a few cars with 19's that look good, but seems like those wheels are mainly produced by the companies who lean to the pro touring guys & i'm not interested in spending $600-800 per wheel. if i go with 18's on the rear, i can

a) run a 285/40-18 which is the same sidewall height & treadwidth as what i had, but gain an inch in diameter from the larger wheel

b) run a 295/45-18 which is a hair wider & a bit taller, assuming it will mount on the 9.5" wheel safely. i have these on a 10" wheel on the rear of my 69 p/u, so can easily roll one under the car to see how it looks.

if anyone else here is running 18's, please post up a pic & if possible, a true measurement of how tall the tire is. i don't trust the caluculators much anymore..

Tire brands can REALLY vary in actual size, for their indicated size. Before making the jump to 18, 19, or 20 inch wheels... it would be cheaper and easier to try another brand of tire first.

I'm running the same size rears (285/40/17), but in Nitto 555 on the back of my Mach. You can clearly see it fills my wheel wells better than the same "size" tire you are running.

1tv3n6.jpg

My rear wheels are 9" wide though, compared to your 9.5 inch wide wheels. So, your tires have more stretch in them, which will also affect the appearance.

I think running a 19 or 20 inch rear wheel will look somewhat cartoon like on your car too. JMHO

Edited by Powershift

o.k., here are my 20's for the rear of the 36 mounted up at "semi" ride height. i jacked up the rear until the pressure was off the jackstands under the frame. the tires are 27.5" in diameter & i would think after moving the rear end slightly rearwards a bit, would center pretty nice. these are the same diameter as the 295/45-18's on my truck , so a good indicator..

photo32.jpg

photo33.jpg

what size do you have on the front? i see a big diff front to rear on your sidewall. i had 235/45's on the front & setting side by side, there was only about 1/4" difference. if i had went with the 245 on the front, they would have been taller.

I run 285/40 rear, and 255/40 front

I just ordered some forgelines ZXrs and went with 19X11 rear and 18X9 front

I am almost regretting the 19 rear because tire sizes are very limited in 285 and 295 which is starting to bother me.

I think anything above 19 is a bit over the top. My car has 18 now all around with Ridetech level 3 and it still looks awesome.

I always did love those 338 wheels but I couldn't force myself to go larger than a 17" wheel. My personal opinion but not a fan of the 20s in your picture. Too much of a wagon-wheel look. Need more sidewall height and less rim IMO.

You'll also find that not only do the sidewall heights vary by manufacturer, but so do the widths. A 285 BFG isn't the same width as a 285 Nitto. GrabberMach has a nice drawing of a comparison between tire widths when he was looking into his 315s.

i'll be going with at least an 18. i stuck one of the 17's from the 36 ford on the front & have at the most 1/4" clearance around the caliper. either way front will be an 18x8 but havent decided yet on the rear. i can go 18x9.5" which will have either a 285/40 tire like the flores car:

flores2.jpg

or go with a 295/45 like the silver giveaway car rick built:

flores4.jpg

& heres one with the 18/20 combo i found on the net. i gave it a ride height adjustment to where my car sits in the rear. i used microsoft paint, so don't pay attention to the front, its too low as i cant rotate, just up/down & side/side:

zzz1.jpg

I just ordered some forgelines ZXrs and went with 19X11 rear and 18X9 front

I am almost regretting the 19 rear because tire sizes are very limited in 285 and 295 which is starting to bother me.

I think anything above 19 is a bit over the top. My car has 18 now all around with Ridetech level 3 and it still looks awesome.

pics??? :punk:

While the pics of the 3 cars you posted look really cool (mostly the Flores Boss car), I can't imagine driving a car that low on the street would be much fun.

There is a line which can be crossed between looking cool, and being usable/drivable.