Sign in to follow this  
jwscarab

Removing door latch striker

Ive tried! No luck. Ive read the posts, lubricate, tap, impact screwdriver, etc. Still no luck.

So my question - is it nuts to drill out the screw heads and hope to be able to remove screws once plate is off, then buy new screws??

Thanks!!

Did you try the welding trick welding a nut or bolt to the head? Have heard that also works

This is the trick. It heats up the screw and gets you a way to put good torque on the screw. Check out my build thread. Took me longer to get the welder out and find nuts than it did to complete the job.

Not nuts to attempt that. make sure you are on the center of the screw shaft and step the bit size. chances are this will releive some of the pressure and let it break loose. I have done this many times with cross threraded stainless steel hdwr.

Thanks guys! I dont know how to weld, I would burn a hole thru the car if I tried.....lol. Dont have a welder either. I should have mentioned that in the original post - sorry. Thats why I was hoping I could drill them out without messing up the nuts, and just replace the screws. I can try to heat up the screw tho!! Thanks again!! Joe

I went thru this myself recently. Heat made the difference (with an impact driver and BFH). I tried the impact driver repeatedly with no success but after heating they broke loose. I just used a Bernzomatic propane, I didn't have a real torch.

If you drill, I'm pretty sure the backing plates are reproduced so you might be ok even if you ruin the threads.