Sign in to follow this  
dpuwookie79

Coil spring stiffeners

So, I added 17x8 wheels to the front of my Mustang, but I have a little bit of tire rub on the front drivers side when the suspension is challenged. From the center of the rim, to the bottom of the fender (above the tire) is 14" on the drivers side. On the passenger side this distance is 14.5" and there is no rub. What do you guys recommend? Spring stiffeners on the driver side... or replacing the springs altogether? If you prefer spring stiffeners, please follow up one where to get them and what size/kind I should use. I know very little about them. I look forward to reading preferences/responses... thanks for your help!

I have a similar issue on my 71. The PO put 15x8's up front, with 235 60's on them. They look great, but the pass side has a rubbing issue. I recently "rolled the fender" on the pass side, and it has greatly helped with the rub issue there. It is odd the drivers side on that car doesn't have the rub issue, but the pass side does. Reverse problem for your car. I'd also like to hear anything folks think could cause a half-inch -or so- difference in ride height from one side to the other? Is there really that much variation in these systems? Any opinions?

I have also considered using air-shocks to simply increase the overall ride height to avoid the rub. I'm not sure this is a good solution, but it is cheaper than most other options...

Wookie- for you I'd recommend a fender roll or air shock to lift the ride a bit - but I don't know anything about spring stiffeners.. so can't help there.

J

Interesting thought. I can see how that could affect things. My recollection of the spring perches though, is that there is a specific location for the end of the spring? Perhaps that can be rotated? Mine are out now, so I'll have to go have a look.

I think they have coil pad that goes at top of tower thats a little thicker than the stock pad. Here's a pair that offer 3/4" lift. Wonder if you couldnt cut one of these down to what you are looking for.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=GT2276+01&Category=Suspension+%26+Steering&subCategory=Coil+Springs&CatKey=EMUSTANG

GT2276-C.jpg

I'd seen those too, mike. Only problem is that I'd have to take the spring out... If I go as far as to remove the spring, I may as well just replace them :). I was hoping for an easy fix that would get me through this driving season before I think about diving into the suspension/brakes this next winter

I got one of the stiffeners installed in my drivers side coil spring today. I had to do some trimming on it, but it ended up fitting really well. It brought the drivers side up approximately 3/4" and have not had any trouble with rubbing on my last ride :)

Thats good info Wook. When you say "one of the stiffeners", it looks like the kind you bought are several (4?) small notched rubber coil spacers. Seems like a very simple concept, but I would assume you need at least one of them on aft side of the coil and one on the forward side? maybe inside/outside? Maybe you put 4 of them on (fwd-inside-aft-outside)? What did you mean by "one of them"?

Also, took "some trimming"? Can you explain? A picture would be worth 1000 words here, but any hints you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Given the extremely low cost, I think I am going to order some and figure it out myself....

Thanks for the posts, though, this is helping me with a similar problem on a daily driver 71 that has some rubbing issues....

Jay

Hey Jay. Yeah, I only put one of them in there for now, to see how it fit and worked. After letting it sit, it's pretty clear I'll need to add another one on the reverse side of the spring, like you suggested. This is my first time messing with them as well, so I'm learning as I go :)

As far as trimming goes, the space between the revolutions of the coil in my spring was not enough to put one of the stiffeners as they were shipped. I got my dremel out and shaved down the edges just enough that I could put it in, with the car jacked up (and no weight on the spring).

I thought the same thing you did... for as little as this costs to try, it's worth a shot! I'll try to posts some pics this coming weekend, when I have time to get the car jacked back up and the wheel off.