Sign in to follow this  
69RavenConv

Door weatherstrip question

Another weatherstrip question, I couldn't find an answer in the shop manuals or assembly manuals.

I'm installing the door pillar weatherstrip on my vert. A bunch of 8-32 screws mostly but down between the hinges the holes are larger and it appears there should be some fasteners but I can't see how to do it. Glue? Bolts? Looking at picture #2, what are all those holes for? Any help appreciated.

Well, I'll give this a shot, but first time I saw this posted, I wondered what was going on here....

I'm assuming we are looking at the passenger side, and that button is the courtesy dome light switch.

On my car, the weatherstrip that goes in the "same location" has a long metal channel that holds the base of the weatherstrip. Odd thing is, this channel goes all the way up and over the door. Of course... you have a vert, and I have a coupe, so, that wouldn't apply. So MAYBE the channel that holds the weatherstrip stops somewhere near the top of the door?

Could it be that you are missing that piece of metal? weatherstrip on a vert can be hugely different from coupes, so I just don't know.

Anyway, I have attached a pic of my drivers side (where I had this area exposed in prep for restore). See if this answers the question. Sorry the pic is sideways - not sure why.

Edited by JayEstes

I have a Coupe also & mine looks exactly likes Jays. Mine is torn apart so I went out to the garage to take a look & mine just has the small holes for the screws that hold the metal trim that holds the weatherstripping. Try sending Pakrat a PM, he has a Vert he is working on & might be able to assist you further.

Thanks for the help guys. Yes, that's the passenger door side. I don't think I'm missing any pieces but I'll look into whether or not I need the metal channels. You're right, the verts are quite a bit different when it comes to trim and weatherstripping but this may be a case where they're similar.

I think I've found my answer. Here's a pic from West Coast Classic Cougars which shows the associated hardware. I believe the 2 plastic press-in fasteners mate to the 2 large round holes in my photo above. Since my weatherstrip kit didn't include any fasteners, I wasn't aware of anything other than the obvious sheet metal screws.

attachment.php?attachmentid=10958&stc=1&d=1333374529