Sign in to follow this  
stangs-R-me

1969 351W with AC Engine Wiring Harness ...

A while back I bought the '69-70 351C w/ AC Harness (CJP # WGF5B) as I could not think of what the difference could be between 351W & 351C engine harness and just ASSUMED it would have the "compessor clutch lead included" ... plus why would CJ call it 69/70 if it was not for 351W too ?? Well, it did not have the clutch lead included so I still needed to get that.

For some reason I did not think this "5B" harness was going to work on my 351W, so I ordered the std '69-70 small block harness "WGF5D" along with the clutch feed wire last week with some other items I needed taking advantage of the 20% off sale.

Got the "5D" harness and now I'm wondering WHY the darn igition coil wire is so SHORT. Then I remembered the recent thread "69 Mach 1 Base Model 351W" and came back to see where the coil is supposed to be ... ahhh it on the driver's side head.

However my car is a factory AC car and coil is mounted to the PASSENGER side head (assume to be correct location as I don't see how it could stay on the driver's side with the compressor there too).

Now got out the "5B" harness I bought earlier and lo and behold it is identical to the "5D" harness I just bought but with a longer coil lead ... exactly what I need !!

Neither of these new harness's are exactly like the one on my car ... I had re-wrapped it years ago integrating the clutch wire and wrapping it further towards the coil ... so no wonder it did not look right.

I'm going to be altering this new harness a bit anyway since I've finally bought an electric choke kit for my Holley (need to run that wire down to the stator terminal on the alternator) and am going to be integrating my Mallory Unilite 3-wire harness into it too.

So I got an extra std. '69-70 small block (non AC) wiring harness if ANYONE NEEDS ONE.

Doug

Doug,

Yeah, the A/c clutch wire is a separate wire from the engine feed as A/C was an option. The A/C clutch feed wire is actually a fuseable link wire which I did not know until I bought a new one for my car. Bruce

Doug,

Yeah, the A/c clutch wire is a separate wire from the engine feed as A/C was an option. The A/C clutch feed wire is actually a fuseable link wire which I did not know until I bought a new one for my car. Bruce

I noticed it was a fuseable link too ... definitely don't want to re-wrap that in with the other 3 wires !!

Doug

Just looked at the pics of Perkin's "52 mile Mach" ... no AC but has PS ... and the coil is on the PASSENGER side head like mine ...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_1002_1969_ford_mustang_mach_1/index.html

... and now I'm totally confused !!

Doug

My GT has a 351W with A/C (stock) and the coil is on the passenger side, like the image above. The rest of the engine is unmolested and fairly original, so I believe this is where it's supposed to be :) I'll try to get a pic up later.

When I bought my car in 1981, it was without engine and trans but came with a '73 302 & C4 trans along side which I installed and ran for most the 80's. So what is under my hood is an assortment of mostly '69 351W correct parts ... AC compressor, brackets, and pulleys came from a junk yard '69 Cougar. Engine is from a different '69 Cougar (non-AC conv.) that my brother & I bought as a parts car later.

Basically my original 80's engine wiring harness was cobbled together (from exactly what I don't remember) but looked correct.

So FLANDERS ... I'd really be interested in seeing a few pics of your unmolested and fairly original 351W & AC engine compartment to see how wiring was routed etc.

Doug

Don't know if this will help ut I will put it out here. In about 1976 my 351 w 2 barrel Mach 1 (non air) skipped a tooth on the timing chain. I had a 351 CJ in my 1972 Mach 1 that was rear ended. I pulled the CJ out of my 72 and put it into my 69 and used the wiring harness from the 69 without any modifications. The engine ran great in the 69.

JAG

These are the only pics I can find at the moment of my unmolested engine bay. (ok, I know the distributor and carb have been slightly molested!) The engine is currently out of the car :) so not quite so useful for pics. I'll see if I can dig up the rest of my stash of pics I took before engine removal.

DSC_4128.jpg

DSC_4127.jpg

69Mustang_July11_094.jpg

(note coil on the passenger side ;) )

Edited by Flanders