Sign in to follow this  
lead_magnet

'69 Coupe Grande - Operation: Blank Canvas

Another change in plans, I already have the 5 speed manual out of the 99 GT, and the 4.6L 2v PI engine out of the same car. I just bought a 98 Lincoln Mark VIII which has the aluminum block 4.6L 4V which is nearly identical to the Cobra motor. I also purchased an independant rear suspension out of a 03 Mustang Cobra. I will be using the IRS from the Cobra, the 5 speed manual out of the GT, and the 4.6L out of the Mark VIII. The front suspension will also be out of the GT.

Current state of the car, the body is nearly all welded back together, I'll try and get pics up soon. The door gaps are lining up perfect, trunk fits perfect, all old suspension has been removed, just making the way for the new front/rear suspension.

If anyone has any opinions on using the 2v or 4v let me know. I know the 4v is bigger, and therefor harder to install, but I feel the benefits will be worth it in the long run. Why go through all this trouble and not go all the way?

So, when it is all finished it should be something like this:

Independent rear suspension

5 speed manual trans

300 HP naturally aspirated fuel injected 4.6L

4 wheel disk brakes

I'm thinking of naming it the 69 Cobra Mark VIII

Body is all welded back together for the most part, have to do some finals welds but she is stuck in her final position

jy5g.jpg

Doors are lining up properly, good gaps in both doors and the trunk.

f1go.jpg

09m3.jpg

this pis was taken pre-welding

dscf6758k.jpg

The engine / trans and suspension out of the 99 GT

dscf6755n.jpg

dscf6756b.jpg

Here is the Lincoln Mark VIII that I just bought, she will be donating the 4.6L aluminum block 4v DOHC powerplant to the project

j7ps.jpg

Probably going to try and incorporate this badging on the finished car somewhere

1kzn.jpg

79a7.jpg

Every time I think I'm in over my head, I think of the guy that built an AK out of a shovel. Then I think about how prior to 1930 or so, every car in this county was made by some illiterate European immigrant in a factory that didn't have a mig welder, plasma torch, modern materials or the vast knowledge of the internet.

I feel it is necessary to reveal another stipulation I've put on myself for this build. I will not, I repeat, I will not contract the work out to someone else. I will do all the fabrication, bodywork, engine work, etc. myself. If it blows up....fine, I just hope I'm in it when it happens, lol. The other stipulation... no new parts (that aren't 100% necessary). I will buy as much as possible used, from random Joe's who have whatever part I need rusting away in their back yard. So far the cost break down goes likes this:

1969 Mustang Grande Shell (with title) .................................... $500

1970 Mustang Fastback Shell (no title)..................................... $500

1999 Mustang GT engine, suspension, trans, brakes, etc............$1000

2004 Mustang Cobra IRS .................................................. ......$1500

1998 Lincoln Mark VIII .................................................. ..........$1600

1969/70 body panels (bought from various farmers)

Trunk Lid..............................$40

Fenders...............................$50

Hood...................................$50

Headlight Buckets.................$20

Doors..................................$40

Rear Glass...........................$75

Total: $ 5,375

Not to mention welding wire, tools, time, blood, sweat, frustration, hahahaha... @#$E@$ when you sum it up, I should have bought a Honda Civic and gone about my business, hahaha! NEVER!

I like your approach on this. Very similar to mine. I'm sticking a 4 valve engine in my coupe and I'm doing all the work myself too. Hopefully we can share some info. I need to update my build thread.

Wow! Those pics inspire me. Makes me really wanna get home I work on my Stang. I'm in Nigeria & most of what I see are Jap-krap & Euro-Trash...although there are 2 - 2008-9 Mustang Convertibles running around near where I work...too bad nobody maintains anything here. Those 2 will probably be heaps of junk in about a year. BTW, this would be an excellent place to own a Monster Truck!

I live (well, more accurately "lived") in Trinidad, Colorado, lol. It's a small town on the southern border of Colorado about 20 miles outside of New Mexico, I've relocated since then. Thanks for the kind words!

Angel, can you post a link to your build thread?

August 7, 2013 Update:

I have purchased another Mustang to scavenge parts from, this time a 97. It runs and drives, bought it for $900, though it is a V6 model with a beat-up transmission. I will be harvesting the entire engine bay from that car and transplanting it onto the 69. I will also be using the rear frame rails from the 97.

The independent rear suspension (IRS) unit showed up and is now awaiting installation. I also purchased another set of wheels from a guy in Pueblo. They came with good tires, and I got all four for $250.

pov4.jpg

sw4k.jpg

Now I need to tear off everything forward of the firewall on both cars and fuse the SN95 engine bay, shock towers, radiator support and frame rails onto the 69 body. Then I'll fabricate my fender mounting locations so I can mount the 69 fenders to the 97 front end. I will probably fabricate a one-off firewall. I've also decided that I will be using the dash out of the S197 ('05-'09) mustang, with some modifications.

Just daydreaming a little bit...

9r3e.jpg

I believe most of the parts gathering has been done, now it is time to start the re-building process. This is where the fun starts.