Sign in to follow this  
Trav_450R

My new 69 Coupe!

Well guys, tonight I finally brought home my first 69, a 302, 3 speed coupe! :D Now I can finally leave my moms Grande alone! :tt2: Picked up for a shotgun and a few hundred bucks cash, so I'm about 700-800 in it. Its very very rough, pretty much no floor pans left, which in that case I'm willing to bet the Torque boxes are gone, etc. Oh well I've got a Coupe setup with the factory manual trans tunnel and clutch setup like I've been looking for. Ill get more pics tomorrow

3e5f6a51.jpg

Well guys, tonight I finally brought home my first 69, a 302, 3 speed coupe! :D Now I can finally leave my moms Grande alone! :tt2: Picked up for a shotgun and a few hundred bucks cash, so I'm about 700-800 in it. Its very very rough, pretty much no floor pans left, which in that case I'm willing to bet the Torque boxes are gone, etc. Oh well I've got a Coupe setup with the factory manual trans tunnel and clutch setup like I've been looking for. Ill get more pics tomorrow

3e5f6a51.jpg

Looks like you have a good starting point for your project, at least you have more to start with then I did with my 69 Coupe project. I also have to replace the l/s floor pan & torque box.

100_0339.jpg?t=1321671855

Looks like you have a good starting point for your project, at least you have more to start with then I did with my 69 Coupe project. I also have to replace the l/s floor pan & torque box.

100_0339.jpg?t=1321671855

Prob what ill do first is start getting rid of things i don't need, like the 3 speed i might have sold. Im not going to use it, ill put a T5 in for the mean time. First major thing is floor pans, torque boxes, everything under the car first and ill build my frame rails while im at it. My dad built some for my moms Grande and they look and function pretty good. I like how buckeyedemon did his frame rails, mainly how he tied them into the rear sub frame. It'll eventually get a 32V modular with a T56... someday!

Prob what ill do first is start getting rid of things i don't need, like the 3 speed i might have sold. Im not going to use it, ill put a T5 in for the mean time. First major thing is floor pans, torque boxes, everything under the car first and ill build my frame rails while im at it. My dad built some for my moms Grande and they look and function pretty good. I like how buckeyedemon did his frame rails, mainly how he tied them into the rear sub frame. It'll eventually get a 32V modular with a T56... someday!

Good luck, just don't be too eager to get rid of things you think you don't need, that's usually the stuff you find out you did need at least a small part of and now can't find anywhere. Even when a part is available repro there's always an inner brace or hidden bracket or something that is not on it and you need to combine it with a portion of the original.

Good luck, just don't be too eager to get rid of things you think you don't need, that's usually the stuff you find out you did need at least a small part of and now can't find anywhere. Even when a part is available repro there's always an inner brace or hidden bracket or something that is not on it and you need to combine it with a portion of the original.

Geez, I hope that shotgun was prone to backfireing! That poor ole gal has led one tough life! Well here's the first great example of my prior post about not quickly tossing away anything you don't want. Looks like this car originally had a vinyl top, whatever you do don't chuck the trim for it that wraps from the door glass to the rear no matter what condition it is in. Even if you don't go with a new vinyl top that trim is impossible to find and many folks are looking for it.

Geez, I hope that shotgun was prone to backfireing! That poor ole gal has led one tough life! Well here's the first great example of my prior post about not quickly tossing away anything you don't want. Looks like this car originally had a vinyl top, whatever you do don't chuck the trim for it that wraps from the door glass to the rear no matter what condition it is in. Even if you don't go with a new vinyl top that trim is impossible to find and many folks are looking for it.

Wow she's in bad shape! I'd hate to tell you to junk a classic - but you may want to think about looking for a cleaner shell to start with. Although I love the Coupes, they're not worth as much as the fastbacks and you may have way more into the car than it's worth if you try and restore her.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck on the project!

Wow she's in bad shape! I'd hate to tell you to junk a classic - but you may want to think about looking for a cleaner shell to start with. Although I love the Coupes, they're not worth as much as the fastbacks and you may have way more into the car than it's worth if you try and restore her.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck on the project!

Its real bad, its got quite a few rust spots in the roof around the windshield. I definatly wont put a vinyl top back on, the drip rail will be done, shaved handles. The passenger door, other than the skin doesnt look real bad at all. It still opens and closes fine, you just have to use the inside handle. One thing id like to try on this, and I've seen Chip Foose do it on a 69 Vert, is put the Fastback decklid spoiler/raised lip and rear corners on a coupe. Ehhh, no offense to any 70 guys on here... im just not too fond... its not the same

Its real bad, its got quite a few rust spots in the roof around the windshield. I definatly wont put a vinyl top back on, the drip rail will be done, shaved handles. The passenger door, other than the skin doesnt look real bad at all. It still opens and closes fine, you just have to use the inside handle. One thing id like to try on this, and I've seen Chip Foose do it on a 69 Vert, is put the Fastback decklid spoiler/raised lip and rear corners on a coupe. Ehhh, no offense to any 70 guys on here... im just not too fond... its not the same

The good, drivers side is not bad, drivers door opens and closes great, with a small rust spot towards the bottom, fenders are great, hood needs work, decklid needs a little attention.

The bad, passenger door skin, passenger quarter panel, tail light panel, floor pans, torque boxes, the passenger front inner fender apron, and a rust spot on the trunk pan thats about a 4"x4" section.

I do think I should've jewed down when I got there but it was dark out, raining, etc... Now that I've gotten out in the daylight and really seen what I've got... O.O what did I get myself into?