Sign in to follow this  
JayEstes

Shock and coil spring removal

I seem to have a unique (or at least different) shock bracket/export brace setup. I believe it is all original, but I am a little confused on how to get the shock out.

The export brace is in 2 pieces (not connected at the firewall) and they are bolted OVER the top of the shock cap. I'm pretty sure the shock won't come out thru the small hole in the shock bracket, so it means removing the export brace to get the shock out? Is this typical? Most of the stuff I see on here shows the new 1 piece export braces which have the shock bracket simply bolted down on top of them.

Also, I've got the engine/xmissn out, fenders and wheels off and the car up on jack stands. Oddly, it seems the shock is still under some load, and as I released one of the shock lower fastening bolts, the spring began bowing outward (!!!). This might imply I need to install the spring compressors before I remove the shock? That doesn't seem right. I got the center type spring compressor, and need the shock out to install. That should work. Maybe some of this is because I have the front suspension completely extended downward and carrying no weight.

I'd appreciate some sage advice on this rather rookie question. Thx.

Jay

Edited by JayEstes

I seem to have a unique (or at least different) shock bracket/export brace setup. I believe it is all original, but I am a little confused on how to get the shock out.

The export brace is in 2 pieces (not connected at the firewall) and they are bolted OVER the top of the shock cap. I'm pretty sure the shock won't come out thru the small hole in the shock bracket, so it means removing the export brace to get the shock out? Is this typical? Most of the stuff I see on here shows the new 1 piece export braces which have the shock bracket simply bolted down on top of them.

Also, I've got the engine/xmissn out, fenders and wheels off and the car up on jack stands. Oddly, it seems the shock is still under some load, and as I released one of the shock lower fastening bolts, the spring began bowing outward (!!!). This might imply I need to install the spring compressors before I remove the shock? That doesn't seem right. I got the center type spring compressor, and need the shock out to install. That should work. Maybe some of this is because I have the front suspension completely extended downward and carrying no weight.

I'd appreciate some sage advice on this rather rookie question. Thx.

Jay

Edited by JayEstes

This might help guide you......

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=10901&highlight=spring+removal

Those are stock braces and will need to be removed first along with the tower caps. Support the front of the car with jack stands then jack up on the lower control arm to relieve the pressure off the shock and remove.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=10901&highlight=spring+removal

Those are stock braces and will need to be removed first along with the tower caps. Support the front of the car with jack stands then jack up on the lower control arm to relieve the pressure off the shock and remove.

+1 on what Grabber70Mach said.

+1 on what Grabber70Mach said.