Cougar20th

89 Tbird Sc AOD transmission behind 70 351C

Does anyone know of any issues with using a AOD from a 89 tbirdsc behind a 351C. Thats my plan at this point instead of the fmx that came in my 69.

I know that the crossmember will need to be replaced. What about the flexplate? or do I juse use the one that was on the supercharged 3.8

89 model should be ok, and I think Super Coupes have one of the ideal AOD's for conversion with beefed up planetary assembly and other performance hardware. I think you need to keep the 351C FMX plate. Its externally balanced and is critical to the 351C operation

If it is a regular AOD (not AODE) then it has the same number of positions / detents ... there is not an extra one because of the added gear.

It has been 18 years since I last had and AOD but I think it goes "P, R, N OD, D, 1".

Are you certain a 3.8L V6 bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as a small block V8 ??

If so, thats good to know but funny I never knew this after owning four 3.8L powered Fords since 1994. Not that I was ever looking into tranny swaps, but I think I would have at least read or heard of this little bit of knowledge at some point.

Doug

If it is a regular AOD (not AODE) then it has the same number of positions / detents ... there is not an extra one because of the added gear.

It has been 18 years since I last had and AOD but I think it goes "P, R, N OD, D, 1".

Are you certain a 3.8L V6 bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as a small block V8 ??

If so, thats good to know but funny I never knew this after owning four 3.8L powered Fords since 1994. Not that I was ever looking into tranny swaps, but I think I would have at least read or heard of this little bit of knowledge at some point.

Doug

Doug

You can use your stock shifter with the Performance Automatic AOD shift linkage kit. I bought one but ended up using a rachet shifter. I have the brand new AOD linkage kit listed now on fleebay item #130645900849 if interested.

You can use your stock shifter with the Performance Automatic AOD shift linkage kit. I bought one but ended up using a rachet shifter. I have the brand new AOD linkage kit listed now on fleebay item #130645900849 if interested.