Sign in to follow this  
Phils69

Heads

I am considering a head change and would like some comments. Do you think this would be a good setup? Looking for strong street only car.

408 rotating assy

AFR205 heads 10.6 cr

Custom cam

Port matched Weiand stealth intake

Holley 750dp

FPA stepped headers 1 5/8" to 1 3/4"

2.5" exhaust with Flowmasters

C4 with 2200 stall

9" 3.25 rear

Don't fear the stall...lol. 2200 will leave it pretty sluggish down low. It depends on the cam specs, but for those heads, the cam will probably upper 230s@.050 duration and you'll need closer to a 3000 stall. Run a good cooler with a good stall, and not a cheap one, and it'll be fine.

Made 550hp with almost that same set up, i used a Vic Jr. intake, HP 950 Carb and Custom cut cam.

It will make over 500ftlbs of Torque around 3k or so...i will find my dyno sheets and give you the numbers if your interested....oh we dynoed with 1.75" headers as well.

228/236@50...563/571 lift...Ground on a 113.

Thats pretty much my grind...buy the Nitrous ported 205's, they are not much more, and have a bit more flow.

I can get the cam card also if you want more info.

We basically contacted Comp, and said here are all the parts we are using, and we want 500 hp, with a decent Idle...The above listed is what they sent me...Its a Hyd Roller BTW.

Plus they did a few little things internally to help it out a bit.

Mike

For a street only car I wouldn't use a DP, other than that it should be a very nice set up. Mine is also very similar, except i'm using a modified torker II and a 5 speed. I have excellent throttle response and decent highway mileage. Driving around town will be hard on mileage for any old school engine that makes 500+ HP (sans variable valve timing events) and using a DP will just cause you to squirt wasted fuel away every time you leave a stop sign or red light.

69G. I am running everything on the list now except the AFR's. I know a vacum secondary would be better but my engine guy was set on the DP so I bowed to him on that one. What width rear tire are you running and how is your traction? Do you run a choke on your carb?

I'm running P275s at all 4 corners now and Comp Eng slider bars (similar to Caltracs). I can still fry them if I try, but under normal driving conditions I get very good traction with no wheel hop.

The carb is a re-issue 428CJ Holley 735 cfm with annular boosters and a choke that I have plumbed to the headers to make functional. It was on the engine when I dynoed it at 537 HP, so it's not limiting power.

Some on here don't believe me, but on a straight and level highway cruising at 60mph, I could repeatedly get 18 mpg (of course you MUST have an OD trans to pull that off and I was running P245s when I did my cross country drive). Spirited driving around town will drop that down considerably, and I don't even bother trying to figure out how bad, but my guesstimate is around 11 or 12 mpg.

Sounds like a great setup you have there. I will be running a 275/60/15 in the rear once everything is done. The 235/60/14's I have not don't offer much in the way of traction with the under headed 408 I have now so something has to be done. Do you have any hood issues with the Torker intake? The head guy wants to use a Vic Jr but I will probaly port the Weiand. The Vic would require a drop base cleaner to fit but I think that would hit the carb choke.

Yea i got the step headers now. The heads I have are knock off Edelbrock rpms, 2.02 intake 1.54 exhaust which ran the standard ford pattern which required the step. Actually not bad power but i feel i am leaving a lot on the table. The AFR's have both patterns but I wish I did have the spread. For a street car it should not be much of an difference I hope.