Sign in to follow this  
69RavenConv

A question about phosphating

A question for those of you who have done zinc or manganese phosphating. I know the chemicals are sold in concentrated form, and you dilute them with water. My question is this: after you mix the chemicals, are they one use only, or can you close up the bucket and use it again and again?

I'm having second thoughts about my phake phosphate painted parts, and I think I'm going to order some Palmetto Enterprises chemicals, strip and parkerize some of them over the winter. Any other tips on the process are welcome.

i don't know if you can save it or not, so i can't help you there.

after rinsing with hot water, i dry the parts off relatively well with towels and then throw them in my oven that's been preheated to around 150. i let them sit in there for a few minutes to really dry off. after that i let them sit in oil.

that's just what i've been doing on the last few parts. no particular reason.

if there is trapped air under a part after putting in the solution, you will get some quick surface rust at that spot. so basically just make sure you don't have any trapped air.

besides that i found it's almost impossible to screw it up.

Thanks, Buckeye. Some of the gun sites I've browsed indicate you can reuse the chemicals, they just lose their effectiveness over time and the finish gets lighter. That could be a good thing on a car. Thanks for the tips, I'm going to give it a try.

I am not familiar with Manganese Phosphate. What is it, what is it used for (such as what parts), and where can I purchase it? Thanks fellow mustangers.

Manganese phosphate and zinc phosphate are chemicals used on bare steel parts to make them rust-resistant. Sometimes called "Parkerizing", it's used a lot on firearms and auto parts. A bare steel part is submerged in a hot phosphate solution which causes a microscopic layer of zinc or manganese to be deposited on the surface and protect it from rust.

There are many parts on Mustangs that came from the factory this way. Hood hinges and shock tower caps (on Dearborn cars) for example.

Here's 2 places I'm looking at buying it from:

http://www.palmettoenterprises.net/Palmetto_Enterprises/-FAQ-.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/245936/lauer-manganese-phosphate-parkerizing-solution-1-gallon-liquid