Sign in to follow this  
d.reese

9 inch posi

That appears to be an Equalock, i had one at one time, everyone says they are weaker and are not worth much....the one i had sold for the same price as a used trac loc, some people are looking for OE parts to put their cars back all origional ya know.

Once you have all the ring gear bolts out, which it appears you do, i always just get on a wood work bench, grab the long conical part of the diff, then pick the diff up with one hand about 2-4" off the bench, then take my Big freking rubber hammer and knock the crap out of the edge of the upfacing lip about a dozen times, and the lower will fall loose on to the bench...thats how you get it apart.....then pull the roll pins out, and pull the cross pins out and the spider gears will coem loose.....taking it apart is the easy part.

There are a few places that sale the equalock rebuild kits.

Just going from memory, they have one or so less friction plates, and a belvidere spring instead of 4 small springs that maintain a pressure on the frictions and steels.

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

The above listed site is a GREAT referance.

If you want to rebuild it yourself, get a video from Bad Shoe Productions,

His videos are Great....you will need a dial indicator, with mag base, an Inch pound torque wrench "these are expensive" ..I found a snap-on one at the pawn shop for 75.00., basic hand tools, a bearing puller for carriers, to pull the carrier bearings, or you can cut them off very carefully, a shop press for putting new bearings on Etc....

Mike