Sign in to follow this  
Boss302

Oil Pressure Gauge-Mecahanical-Copper Tubing

So my old gauge,equss tri-pod was leaking...bought a new one, Sunpro tri-pod, both are Mechanical...

new:

CP8090-B.jpg

Info about it click here

I unscrewed the copper tubing off the old one (equus gauge) and there wasnt a ferrule...thingy, just the nut and the copper tubing...

I proceeded to attach the copper tubing to the new gauge, tried it first with the ferrule thingy, the ferrule woldnt snap on right or fit on, and the copper tubing would just slip out the back.

so now its just the nut with the copper tube through it and in the gauge, the end of the copper tube, near the gauge, i stuck a Phillips head in it to enlarge it so it wouldnt slip out and pull out from the nut...before i secured it, i wrapped some heatshrink tubing on it,after i screwed it down and made sure it was in place, i heated the stuff and it shrank...its holding for now..but i havent turned on the car to test it, b/c i was replacing radiator and hose.

question is, how to properly attach the copper wire to the new gauge

and how does the ferrule attach? it just wouldnt pop on and didnt want to force it.

another question:

Should i just drop mechanical and for electrical, seems better?

But is there a good setup,which ones the best..would like to stick with sunpro same as the one i got, size,color, so i can just pop it in.

-i did a search on here and google, didnt find anything related to my issue...

Some new style nuts have the ferrel built in.

Old style is slip the nut on the tube and then the ferrel over the tube and compression of the ferrel onto the tube happens when you tighten the nut.

If the ferrel does not want to slide onto the tube, it may have expanded and a small amount of tube must be cut off the end to allow it to slip on.

Some new style nuts have the ferrel built in.

Old style is slip the nut on the tube and then the ferrel over the tube and compression of the ferrel onto the tube happens when you tighten the nut.

If the ferrel does not want to slide onto the tube, it may have expanded and a small amount of tube must be cut off the end to allow it to slip on.

thanks ill give it a go...