Sign in to follow this  
etel64

A/T Kick down

I have a Holley 600CFM carb and opted to go with a Lokar kickdown cable. Super easy to install and works great. Only issue is that the bracket for the cable on the trans gets in the way with the gear shift so putting it in 2nd and 1st are challenging.

Which transmission do you have? There should be a lever just inboard of the throttle on the carb, if it was made for an automatic. Some Holley carbs don't have the lever especially if they were made for a manual transmission application. Do you have any pics of the throttle side of your carb? Bruce

This is a 351W , C4, 600cfm Holley.

Have folks scabbed in a section to lengthen and raise in order to connect?

when does the THere is about a90 degree travel on the throttle. when does this engage the kick down lever?:hammer:

[ATTACH]10121[/ATTACH]

Okay, you are missing the adjusting screw and clip. Here are a few picks from my Holley 9510 carb. I think you may be able to get the screw and clip from Holley. Also, you can cut and lengthen your kick down rod. Just go to your local hardware store and get a length of thin wall tubing the same diameter as your kick down rod.

However, I think you may have the wrong kick down rod. I would try and find the correct rod for you application. Also, why did you have to move your throttle stud back to connect to the cable? Different intake to carb mounting position?

Here is a link to the parts you need.

http://www.allcarbs.com/detail.php?pid=998&gb=1&ctgn=56&stt=5

Bruce

Edited by LindenBruce

Thanks Bruce

My picture hid the adjustment screw and clip on the back side of the lever. So thats all cool. The part you gave me a link for is what I needed so thanks for that. :thumbup1:

DO you have a picture of the kick down connected? My problem is that I dont know where the lever should be placed in order to cut and lengthen the the kick down rod to meet it.

this lever should activate the kick down lever when the throttle passes the half throttle point?

Cool. No, I don't have a pic of the rod connected as I am fabing things up for an AOD right now. The rod connects to the spud that you have lined up with the kick down rod in your pics. You adjust the screw on the kick down lever to activate the passing gear/kick down on the transmission at full throttle. Check out the following link. It may help you with your install and carb adjustments.

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R7948-5.pdf

Bruce

Edited by LindenBruce

This is a 351W , C4, 600cfm Holley.

Have folks scabbed in a section to lengthen and raise in order to connect?

when does the THere is about a90 degree travel on the throttle. when does this engage the kick down lever?:hammer:

[ATTACH]10121[/ATTACH]

I used this part on my 302 with C4 car to extend the kick down lever. Works great. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-20-41/

The position of the lever stud is what has me worried.:sweatdrop: Picture shows the linkage stud ligned up with the tab on center of the carb.

Going through the throttle range, the throttle travels half way through before it starts driving the kick down lever.

I scabbed in (2) steel rods, one horizontally extending it 7/8" and one vertically extending it 1". Set screws will allow me to reset these if I am way off ther mark.

SO onward and upward, I guess its a good starting point for now.

Opinions & comments please.:dots:

BTW - thanks for the link to the extension and all the input.

[ATTACH]10131[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10132[/ATTACH]

you also have the wrong throttle cable bracket. the one you have is for the 2v carb setup. youcan buy new 4v throttle cable brackets from just about all of the vendors be warned though they are a bit on the pricey side...usually about $55-60 or you could just use a universal one like from Holley, Spectre, Mr Gasket, Etc....