Sign in to follow this  
TheMenace

"just needs a little body work"

Famous last words...

Story of my car in short form. My father bought the car from a friend and it needed LOTS of work. At least 80% of the car was rusted. He worked out a deal with one of his friends to do all the metal and body work. When the car was nearly done and primed, ready for paint, my father passed away and in the words with the guy that worked on the mustang "the deal died when your father died".

The car sat for about 8 years and I started getting it back together this past year. Dropped in new engine, tranny, brakes, electric and interior. I know little to nothing about body work so i brought the car to a shop and told the guy the story. He said he will help me finish the car and teach me body work in the process.

According to me the car "just needed a little body work". 4 weeks in and I have replaced both front torque boxes, drivers side frame rail, piece of the passenger side frame rail, pieces of the rear torque boxes and frame and some of the cowl. I just ordered both rear quarter skins and both long floor pans to install next week.

Most of this stuff was replaced by my fathers "friend" but not installed correct or more importantly safe. The floors the guy cut ONLY the rust holes out and layed the complete replacement sections ontop of the existing floor so now in some sections there is 2 floor boards sandwiched together. He secured these by rivets and then seam sealer!!! I had no idea what was under the car but I am piece by piece replacing all the hacking done.

I am taking progress pics as I go along the way and I will start a thread specific for that but I just wanted to vent/share my experience with this car so far

WOW, sound like having your dad's friend finish the job wasn't the best thing to do anyway. Suck to have to go through but it will be worth the headache when you are able to take it out for a cruise. Look forward to seeing some update pics.

Yea it was the best worst thing to happen to that car. It's funny looking at the before pics the floors looked decent. I think he spent more time hiding his hacking than he did actually fixing the rust. Once i started removing layers of paint/bondo the real condition of the car was able to be seen.

Now that i am getting better at fabrication I am started to do some custom things. I made a bracket for the rear quarter extention so the extention will rest on the bracket as well as be held in by the 3 bolts so it has more holding strength bc I am going to hide the body line and don't want it to flex/move and eventually crack. I am still thinking of a better way to attach the headlight buckets so I can remove that body line next.

Fixing other peoples f'ups is my specialty these days but it does get better.

Before you know it you will have your left arm on the door rest, fingertips lightly caressing the indicator stalk. Right arm limpl on the center console rest and your back planted comfortably in the plush deluxe seats. Just leaning back and cruising with not a care in the world.

little update. got the new floors, toe boards, rear seat housing installed. cleaning up the welds a little and then i am going to start on the rear 1/4s and door skins.

didnt realize this till after i bought them but the rear 1/4s were for a 70 and dont have the duct cut into them. kinda sucks i have to cut up the new 1/4s but they dont sell 69 specific ones from where i ordered.

little update. got the new floors, toe boards, rear seat housing installed. cleaning up the welds a little and then i am going to start on the rear 1/4s and door skins.

didnt realize this till after i bought them but the rear 1/4s were for a 70 and dont have the duct cut into them. kinda sucks i have to cut up the new 1/4s but they dont sell 69 specific ones from where i ordered.

Yeah that does suck. But better now than later.