Sign in to follow this  
Bruinsfan27

RI Reg any one know????

I have been restoring my 69 fastback for 3 years... it sat for 5 years before that not registered. I want to get it registered now and i was told by the dmv i would have to pay taxes on $17,500 book value. That would be around $1,200 plus all 8 years of back taxes!! WTF! does anyone know a way around this? it's gonna be very expensive!!

so, RI says that while a vehicle is inoperable, not road worthy, not plated and even not registered you still pay taxes?

Didn't they know us Americans went through a revolutionary war and succeeded from England?

BTW - where did they come up with book value?

My 69 in NC is "valued at wholesale, blue book or private party asking price for tax purposes." As of 1/1/11 the value was $2,890...

that book value seems extreme to me. How can they claim the car to be worth several times what it cost new? Where did that number come from? I can't remember exactly what I paid to register my stang after filing for abandoned title, but was miniscule.

At the very least you shouldn't have to value the car at any more than what it says on the Bill of Sale and unless RI law has changed since I last registered a car there you were still allowed to sell people a car for $1.00 if you wanted to.

They have a book called the CPI book which stands for Car of Particular Interest. If i wanted to fight it at the time i would of had to hire a private appraiser and IF they agreed i would get my money back. Oh yeah they wanted the $1,200 up front. Someone told me that if i get a dealer willing to do it, i can have the dealer write up a bill of sale and the state will believe the value a dealer declares. The problem is finding a trust worthy dealer. In other words one that will screw the state...not me. lol