Sign in to follow this  
cobra460jet

Insrument Cluster Refurbishment

Thanks Demon. Looks really good. Did you just media blast the backside and leave it unpainted. Some of the guys on the other mustang site are saying to paint it a satin flat white. Supposedly it diffuses the light better. I dont think it will make that much of a noticeable difference personally.

I just took mine apart. Its an original tach panel for 69 and the color was more of an off white or cream color. Maybe the original was pure-white and yellowed?

i have another original and it's a chalky (i.e flat, maybe age?) white. definitely not yellowed.

IMG_2367.jpg

Hey fellas and especially Buckeye.. Doesnt this metal guage pod serve as a ground for the instrument lights when its screwed to the car at the top? I know there is one ground thats on the left side of the dash panel fastened to the lower dash (metal). Want painting the backside interfere with the grounding? Also did you just take out the 2 spongey seals then reglue them after you media blasted them?

Yes the metal gauge housing is the ground to the cluster. You can paint the exterior but will need to sand off the paint where the housing contacts the body, as well as the screw locations in the upper right corner (when looking at the back of the housing) and at the CVR.

My originals appear to be a satin white. I chose to paint mine gloss white. I doubt you'll notice much difference between gloss and satin in the light quality, but I wouldn't paint it flat white.

Doesnt this metal guage pod serve as a ground for the instrument lights when its screwed to the car at the top? I know there is one ground thats on the left side of the dash panel fastened to the lower dash (metal). Want painting the backside interfere with the grounding? Also did you just take out the 2 spongey seals then reglue them after you media blasted them?

i'm not sure if the two screws/clips that hold the shell to the firewall (i'll call it the firewall) are really required or not. there is a return wire in the main connector. i'm sure having the metal contact the clip, fastener and firewall (will need to remove paint there too) will only ensure contact.

as far as removing paint from the two screws on the part itself then yes.

i removed the two seals for media blasting and then reglued after painting.