Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Which Intake Manifold to use ?

I have a 1969 Fastback with a 1968 289 just rebuilt, 4 speed toploader wide ratio, 9" trac-lok rear w/ 3:50 gears, 1965 screw in stud heads, 194/160 valves, Comp Cam 512 lift cam, Holley 600 DP, long tube headers.

I would like to go with the Edelbrock Performer 2121 w/ a power band up to 5500 OR Edelbrock Perfromer RPM w/ a power bandup to 6500 OR a Weiand Stealth.

I already had a Edelbrock F4B on it, but had issues with vacuum leaks and one of the bolt holes on the thermostat sprung a leak which needs to be welded. I choose not to go back to the F4B.

I'm not racing the car at the drag strip, but would do a little street light racing. Mostly cruising. I don't want to be changing Manifolds and want to do this right and have it last for a while.

There's some great sales this week and I want to take advantage of it. Any opinions?

The older Weiand 8011 Action Plus is a good one too. I have one on a 302 in one of my 69's with a 1 inch 4 hole phenolic spacer. I was having some heat issues with my carb, and that's why I went with the spacer. Modern pump gas additives probably didn't help the problem any. Good on low end torque and power. The others intakes mentioned may be better, but not sure how much hood room you would have for a spacer if needed.

Edited by jholmes217

1969 Mach 1-

I took your advice, just placed an order with Jegs on a price beat for $148.38.

Thank You!

I also did a consensus and a few hours on the internet to pick the Weiand Street Warrior 8124.

It had the latest technology, almost identical to the F4B and was inbetween the Edelbrock Performer and RPM.

Thanks to all for your opinions!

prayers1,

Sorry I took so long to get back on this thread. Long weekend. Edelbrock doe have alot of nice products, but regarding the Performer (not the RPM) intakes. First, the configuration of it looks much like an aluminum version of the OEM cast iron intake. From that it would seem either the OEM is a great intake or the Performer is not much better than the OEM. Second, I have read complaints about the thin carb flange creating sealing issues and a general consensus of not being happy with them. Third, on EBay it looks like there are more used Performers for sale than any other aftermarket intake. That may also indicate alot of people are not happy with them.

For street drivers alot of people, including myself, like Weiand intakes for small block Fords. I'm waiting for Weiand to make their Speed Warrior intakes for the 351w.

Edited by 1969 Mach1

I finally was able to install the Weiand Street Warrior and the Holley 570 cfm Avenger.

I must say I am very pleased with this combo, The motor now has a smooth quick burst as soon as I snap the throttle. I drove the car for the 1st time today and I was very impressed. I didn't think a 570 cfm was enough.

I would recommend this combo an any 289/302.

69Mach 1-Thanks for the recommendation!