Sign in to follow this  
rchappelear

28 spline vs 31 spline

YES, the 31 Spline is a slightly larger shaft and there for can handle more torque. Don't remember what the diameter difference is though.

If you've got a small block and are running stock width tires (225 or narrower), 28 Spline axles are just fine.

If you are running wider / sticker tires or drag radials and have a built small block or stock (or built) big block then you probably should have the 31 Splines.

FYI / interesting factoid ... Ford has been putting 31 Spline axles and 8.8" T-Lok differentials in all 2011-up V6 Mustangs !! Main reasons being the wider & stickier tires from the factory and the car is quite a bit heavier than a classic Mustang ... 305 HP & 280 ft-lbs of torque has a little to do with it too. Weak link now is the 2-pc telescopic stamped-steel drive shaft.

Doug

Yep. I've done it in other cars. My '71 Camaro did it, and it's a lot worse deal because the axles don't bolt in, so they will actually come out. It can still be bad on the 9", but it's a little better because they do bolt in. It can still tear stuff up though, and if you're down the track, it'll turn the car.

And the strange 28 splines are considerably stronger than stock 28 splines. I have a 35 spline spool sitting on the shelf. I just haven't bought the axles yet.