Sign in to follow this  
Pyetime

8" rear end question

Can a 8" rear end get beefed up enough to put 450 horses through it? I intend to upgrade at some point to a 9" but I'm running out of budget at this point so I was hoping I could upgrade my current 8". Thanks for your thoughts!

From what I've read 450 is definitely the upper limit. Most say you should stay between 350 and 400.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-tech/66875-8-9-inch-rear-end-horsepower-torque-ratings.html

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2006/06/01/hmn_feature19.html

In in the same boat you're in right now but the 302 I'm putting into my car should only be around 270 to 300hp.

Thanks for the input folks! I dont know if I can refrain from playing a little so I guess I need to upgrade. I know I need to find a rear end out of a 67-70 Mustang but some Lincoln models will work also correct? Anyone know what years I'd be looking for?

I upgraded my center on my 8" - Trac loc and stonger gears. Running a 347 about 425hp/425tq - which I get into it quite a lot. Bought center section off a guy on ebay that had a lot of positive feedback. Rated it up to 500 hp. I'm very happy with it and no problems. Did some research before I bought it and felt more than comfortable it would handle HP i was putting out.

Lincoln versailes or a granada has an rear that will fit perfect, good luck finding one, are you looking for a rear end that is done. I am finishing a granada 9 inch , with a 3.25 bearing housing, traction loc dif, aluminum daytona pinion support , 31 spline currie axles, and lincoln mark vii disc brakes. Housing has been powdercoated gloss black, and will have pics this weekend if you are interested.

I upgraded my center on my 8" - Trac loc and stonger gears. Running a 347 about 425hp/425tq - which I get into it quite a lot. Bought center section off a guy on ebay that had a lot of positive feedback. Rated it up to 500 hp. I'm very happy with it and no problems. Did some research before I bought it and felt more than comfortable it would handle HP i was putting out.

i know who you are referring too, he is knowledgable person. I might go with him. Im putting up almost the same hp/tq rating as you.

yeah thats the guy, he says his 8 can withstand the power putting out, so i don't plan on going any faster. my 392w was dyno'd at 450+hp from fps so what I think I'm expecting at least low 400's rwhp so thats good enough for me. I don't plan on drag racing, maybe auto x and some road racing but it will rarely see the track.

Not bad cheaper than the 8 center section we discussed

You bet! Has anyone here used a narrower rear to allow for a wider tire? The guy I'm talking to about the rear end has several and wanted to know if I would be interested in going that route. Not sure what to do! Looking under the car that makes sense, you can tell that there would still be enough clearance on the inside of the tire and reducing width would allow for a wider tire. He is checking on the pins on the housing to verify that they are the same width to line up with the leafs. I'll see what he comes up with.

Edited by Pyetime

You can get a pretty beefy tire on original rear end - see attached. Although Ive seen some nice set ups with shortened rears but once you start going outside the different years may be in to a ripple effect - tubs/relocating perches/rolling fenders, etc. 8" center may be a safe bet.

http://www.dodgestang.com/Tire%20Fitment%20Guide%2065-6.pdf