Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Parking Brake question

When I pull on the lever to release the parking brake pedal it doesn't move much. If I pull on the release handle I can pull the pedal up with my hand.

I don't see anything wrong with the cables, no binds.

Is there a release spring within the unit

How many bolts to take off the unit.

Has anyone repaired their e-brake.

There is a light weight spring that is incorporated into the foot operated brake mechanism. The spring that really helps the foot pedal on the brake release to fully come back to its full released position is the spring on the brake cable under the driver side. This spring should be put on the threaded portion of the saefty brake cable before it is attached to the cables that got to the back brakes.

Prayers1 I was wrong about the small spring in the mechanism helping to pull the cable back. I see from your picture that the spring I was thinking about only puts pressure on the latching and un-latching mechanism. Sorry, its been too long ago since I put that back in my car, that and a bad case of CRS. The spring that really helps is the spring located under the driver's side. Here is a pic. Sorry, my car is not on the lift and I can't move the camera back any futher to get a better picture but you can see the spring that helps pull the cable back after brake release.

pb080011.jpg