Sign in to follow this  
Flanders

engine painting

I realize that lots of time on "prep" is worth the effort in the long run. That said, what's the standard prep for painting an engine? Does it need to be sanded/scraped down to bare metal? Or just fully degreased and then the high-temp paint goes on top? Is it worth putting a coat of primer on first?

My block is a mix of old paint, bare metal, and some spots with surface rust. I wasn't planning on sanding it all down to bare metal, but having never done this, I'm not sure!

engine blocks are cast and have alot of "texture" to the painted surface. This can be good for the paint to have a "bite" but can be a weakness hiding dirt and grease. I would get a stiff brush and really work in the degreaser, make sure you scrub over and over. i would also look at the prep chemicals that Eastwood carries to prep the cast iron to accept the high temp paint. PREP will determine how long the paint last, also a good quality paint.

Good advice. I would run a wire wheel on it to remove the loose edges of any remaining paint and to scuff up the surface rust at minimum as well. Small toothbrushes are great to dip into a solvent (in the dual bucket method like washing a show car) and for scrubbing in the corners of the casting, the frost plugs, etc. If you are using spray bombs, I would recommend Dupli-Colors High Temp Ceramic Resin Engine Primer and Paint. Summit Racing, among many others, carries this in at least three dozen colors.

Are you doing this in the car or is the engine pulled? I did mine while it was out so it was much easier, I power washed it then went over the whole thing with wire cup brushes and wheels to remove loose paint and rust, wiped it all down with mineral spirits then used the VHT high heat paint on it, no primer.

Here's a great little article I've kept in my folder for a quick weekend engine bay clean up that has lots of useful tips and tricks to offer.

http://www.nzmustang.com/TechData/Detailenginebay.htm

thanks folks -- Pakrat, the engine is out. Actually, I was going through some of your old threads for some tips too!

I wasn't sure about the primer, so looks like I'll skip it. I think I'll go with a clearcoat on top of the paint. I believe one of your old posts mentioned you did this -- how has it held up?