Sign in to follow this  
frankenstang

Idle setting question

I am trying to set the correct idle speed on my 200, automatic. Is the correct idle measured with the car in drive or park? I am seeing a ton of different resources saying different idle speeds, in drive or out of drive, and even different timing. I have found the correct timing to be at 12* BTDC. Just need idle so I can get everything right.

Thanks,

Steve

Idle on an automatic transmission car should be set in drive. I have my wife or one of the kids hold the brake down while I set it. I'm at work and don't have my books handy to reference, but the idle probably should be around the 600-700 rpm range.

I may be wrong but the idle should be set in Neitral or park according to the books.....I dont agree with this most of the time tho, i will use it as a ball park, but i do the same as the rest of you guys....get it close in park, then put it in drive and set it to where i like it....usually around 800, depending on how the car acts, if you have a big cam, and tight converter it will some times go into gear realy hard, so i idle down a bit, if if its pretty stock, i just shoot for 800.......I do however LOVE the sound of a big cammed car idled down about 600-650, lets it chop up well, nothing like the sound of a strong cam., :P

Mike