Sign in to follow this  
panteramatt

squeeling belt and radio interferance

I just got done installing a 3g alt with a v groove pulley and installing a new stereo with an amp. Well when I first srart the car, the belt squeels pretty bad for a little bit and the belt is tight. Also, theres a ton of radio interferance. I ran the battery to the trunk and I did run 1 rca cable and 1 speaker cable alongside the passenger side rocker panel together but the rcas are supposed to be shielded so I didnt think that would be a problem.

For the belt squeal, how well does the belt fit the pulley?

The deeper it rides in the groove the less chance it will slip.

For the radio, wires should be seperated from power feeds.

You may have to add a filter to eleminate the alt whine, I had to add one to my amp feed or learn to like the varing whisle every time I shifted gears.

The belt fits fine in there. Im wondering since the pulley is chrome that its too slippery in the groove. What filter are you talking about? Ive installed MANY systems in my cars but never had this much interferance. Must be cause of the huge battery power cable.

How well aligned is the alternator pulley to the crank pulley? Is the battery low on charge? If the battery is low on charge it will create quite a draw on the alternator which might cause the belt to slip.

The belt fits fine in there. Im wondering since the pulley is chrome that its too slippery in the groove. What filter are you talking about? Ive installed MANY systems in my cars but never had this much interferance. Must be cause of the huge battery power cable.

Check FleeBay for a ground loop filters, fairly cheap and will stop the whining.:walkman:

Is it too tight? May be you can try some of that beltlube stuff that you spray on and that may stop it. But I would loosen it up and retighten it first and then go from there. Good luck with it and hope this helps.

Than I wonder where its coming from? Its VERY loud and only when the car is running.

i've never researched EMI problems in cars, but i would assume it's coming from the alternator. the question should be, how is it coupling into your radio.

Just checked the pulley and it doesnt seem to be sitting too low. The top of the belt is about even with the pulley and theres about 1/4" below the belt to the bottom of the pulley. Wondering if the chrome is causing it? It only seems to squeel when I first start it and for the first minute after.