Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Z-Bar Question

Finally I got the drivetrain in, now I having problems with the clutch linkage alignment. The bar coming form the clutch pedal to the Z-Bar was an inch from the Z-Bar hole. I pushed the rod closer to the hole and secured it with force, now the Z-Bar is pulled further away form the bellhousing and almost out of the Bellhousing/Z-Bar bushing. The Z-Bar is not original but is for my application. I thought to take my floor Jack handle, place it on top of the Z-Bar and pry it towards the left tire. What should I do.

th_Z-Bar001.jpg

th_Z-Bar002.jpg

th_Z-Bar007.jpg

I would say it could take a little tweeking but I'm not sure I would do it while installed in the car. Take it out, put it in a vise and message it appropriately. You shold be able to reinstall it and take up the slop with the z-bar frame mount pivot which is slotted. Good luck.

First try loosening the frame side of the Z bar mount and slide it towards the eng. The felt washers should be slightly pinched at each end.

Next make sure the upper rod for the petal to z bar is the correct one for your car, some have a prebend in them.

I suspect it's the original, it looks old enough, but how things are turning out who knows. I was going to bend the top about 3/4". I have to be careful so that the curve doesn't hit the sterring knuckle.

I didn't know about other options. Would you know what application would have the curve. I think that would be best.

Before I pulled the Z-Bar I took a photo on how both rest. You could see it's a good inch away.

th_Z-Bar009.jpg

The rod I have is straight. As for mustangdepot, that rod is straight as well, both ends have a turn as mine does. I was thinking of getting a 1966 Pedal to Equalizer Bar Rod 13 3/4", it has enough length to allow me to bend it to shape. the PO left me a Z-Bar that was hacked up, but I do see that he bent the top to fit to the peddle rod.

My upper clutch rod is completely straight with 90 degress on both ends.

Here's a picture of the old Z-Bar used by the PO next to the new one I'm using. You can see he bent the top to meet the rod. Also attached is 4 rods offered to early Mustangs. The 69-70 has a slight bend.

I was thinking, if I bend my rod 45 degress in the middle after the fire wall then straighten it out, I should have enough to attach to the Z-Bar, but how much do you think it will decrease it's length? If it does decrease the length by and inch or so, will this have an effect on function?

Or, should I do this to the Hi Po rod that's 13 3/4.

th_Z-Bar.jpg

th_Z-Bar010.jpg

Edited by prayers1

Here is a picture of my clutch peddle rod. You can see that it's straight, not like the 69-70 version. I can go 2 ways, buy a new rod or get the one I have welded and extend the length needed to reach the Z-Bar.

th_Z-Bar011.jpg

Edited by prayers1
added photo

Is your current rod 12.5", if so put a slight bend in the middle just like the pictures in the book and it should be good. It appears that you just need the rod to move over about an inch to connect with the the top of the z-bar and not drag on the edge of the hole in the firewall.

Cruzzar- Yes, the rod is 12.5" long. I thought to do the same thing. My only concern is when the clutch pedal bottoms out. I hope that there would be enough length after bending the rod to allow full travel of the clutch. I want to be sure that the pressure plate opens fully. How would I know this?

There's a picture of the rod on post #10, that wasn't there yesterday

Edited by prayers1

Use all the correct parts for 1969 and your particular engine / trans and it should work like it should. Since the rod you have does not have the bend in the middle, it is obviouslly NOT correct for a '69.

Adding a bend in the middle to what you have will not make it right as the two ends need to remain parallel to each other.

Go out and buy the correct rod ... if this does not completely solve it, then you still have other non-69 component(s) in your linkage.

One other thing ... is you trans & bellhousing original 302 stuff or could it originally be from a 351W which will also work on a 302 ?? If it was from a 351W, then you need the slighly different 351W Z Bar instead of the 302 version that you have.

Doug

I bought a new rod. As far as my application, I'm using what was given.

1968 289 & Large bellhousing for 164 tooth flywheel.

th_Z-Bar013.jpg

You can see that the rod is close to the firewall hole, but I can live with that for now.

Where do you put the other end of the clutch fork spring?

On the frame, suspension ??? Here's a picture of the spring attached one end to the clutch fork. If someone can show a picture of it's location that would be great.

th_Z-Bar014.jpg

From your pictures it appears that you have the clutch rod/z-bar return spring that goes from the firewall to the top of the z-bar. This spring holds the clutch pedal and z-bar assembly away from the throwout bearing. The other spring you are asking about attaches from the fork to the pivot on the lower rod. Look at the bottom of the z-bar arm where it attaches to the rod that goes to the fork assembly and see if it has a hole in it where the spring attaches. Its function it to hold the rod in place so it does not fall out of the end of the fork assembly. It does not attach to the body.

From what your telling me, the small black spring attached to the Top of the Z- Bar to Clutch Pedal needs to go on the bottom of the Z-Bar and to the clutch fork.

And the one I have attached to the clutch fork needs to go where the small black one is now.

I've tried to use the silver larger spring at the top of the Z-Bar but it was too long. So, I thought it would go on the clutch fork. Maybe it's stretched out and I need to cut it to length. Do you know about how long it is. I'm enclosing photos of each spring and a Equalizer Bar kit. It appears that the long spring in the kit I have but too long. Let me know if I understood you about what spring goes where and would you know the length. If you don't know the length. I would guess that it would be whatever the distance is from the top of the Z-Bar to the pedal rod when the Foot Pedal is all the way up, is that right????

th_Z-Bar016.jpg

th_Z-Bar015.jpg

th_Z-Bar017.jpg

Wow, your not kidding! The detail and set up of your car is incredible. That's one of the nicest I've seen. How about a picture of the entire engine bay.

Well, it looks like I have the right foot pedal rod to Z-Bar spring on. The lower spring looks just like the one on the catalog page, but it's obviously too long when I try to put it on the clutch fork/Z-Bar. I'm confused why it's in the catalog pitcure?

Where did you get that upper adjustable rod/ swivel and are you sure that your lower spring is the factory one.

My top spring is a factory replacement but the bottom is most probably not. I made my clutch system full roller as you can see. These are standard heim joints but with a grease zerk. Probably overkill but the price difference wasn't that much. Engine pics.

p5220005p.jpg

p5220001c.jpg[/url

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Cruzzar