Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Help me decide what Disc Brake conversion.

There are so many opinions & posts on disc brake conversions that it makes it hard for me to decide what budget friendly version to get. I have manual 4 wheel drums. Since I'm rebuilding the car from the ground up I can't afford Mustang Steve's or the expensive kits. I would need to acquire my parts a piece at a time.

For my budget, I'm looking at conversions from Granadas, Bolt on Bracket kits that use the same drum spindles or used 69 disc brake parts.

From the choice above which seems best for my budget. I tend to lean towards the OEM & Granada. I would think that the OEM version would be the way to go, as the engineers intended it to be. Is a 1969 brake system better then the 1975 Granada. Does the Granada have more braking power.

If someone has done any of the above conversions. Please let me know what stumbling points I need to watch out for.

Any opinion and help is much appreciated.

Thank You!

I just did the Granada swap and here's my costs:

175-Granada spindles and calipers (pre-powder coated, bought locally)

40-New wheel bearings (inners and outers)

50-New brake pads

30-New brake lines

100-New brake discs

50-New Prop valve (for rear drums)

40-Granada tie-rod ends

As you can see, the Granada swap can get costly. These costs are rough (can't remember exact $). Braking is 1million% better over the stock drums.

Desert 69- What did you do about the master cyl and Booster. What did that cost and did you come across any problems.

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in performance with the 69 OEM vs. Granada.

I know depending of where you get your parts, but out of the 2, which is less expensive.

I doubt you can use a 15" rim. The general rule of thumb is rotor diameter + 4". I think they will fit behind 16" rims, but I believe that the smallest rim you could buy with the 05-10 Mustang GT was 17".

The MustangSteve brackets are $230 + $10 shipping. I have not priced anything else out, yet. I have been told that one of the Fox boosters (and I appologize that I cannot remember which one, I am thinking a 4 cylinder coupe, but I could be wrong) will fit nicely. I'm planning to do hydroboost, so my costs will be higher.

Ya, the cost of the S197 brakes is what is seriously leaning me towards this route. If I don't do that, I will use 94-04 Cobra brakes. I would either take the set off my 95 GT (if I sell it before the 69 is ready) or do the upgrade in pieces -- get the MustangSteve bracket for the Cobra brakes and use the 94 GT brakes I have until I can afford new Cobras. I read a couple of days ago that the 94-04 Cobra brakes are now being made in the aftermarket. I think I read this on latemodelresto's web site. They are still the same price (~$500), though.

M/C

PRAYERS1;

Your question about Granada vs factory power disc is a valid one that I have wondered about. A few weeks ago I came across a Granada setup that I am in the process of installing in my 69 in place of factory discs. I have never been happy with the factory power disc brakes. In an emergency, I do not think I could lock up the front tires with them. Thankfully in 25 years of driving I have never had to do so/

A few things I noticed are that the whole caliper assembly that supports the brake pads is substantially larger with the Granada. My guess is Ford realized that the system used in 69 was not adequate, so they beefed it way up in the Granada. I will bet there is twice the steel, I know they weigh about twice as much.

I have realized, as well as everyone else, that when you change brake pads on a 69 factory brake car, the inner pad is worn down to nothing and the outer pad is barely touched. That tells me all braking is done on the inside of the disc only. My guess is this was fixed with the Granada.

If I had my system done, I could give you a good answer. I will be done in about another week.

danno- Thank you for that great insight- That makes sense.

Please keep me informed on your brake conversion. Due to back order of parts I have yet to put my drivetrain in, therefore the brake conversion will be another day. One of our members was selling a 69 Spindle/Rotor set and since I will be doing the conversion sometime in the future I thought to jump on it, but I've recently read posts regarding the Granada setup. Since I'm not in a hurry, I like to throughly look at all of my opinions.

From what you just said it looks like the Granada is the way to go.

Desert 69- What did you do about the master cyl and Booster. What did that cost and did you come across any problems.

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in performance with the 69 OEM vs. Granada.

I know depending of where you get your parts, but out of the 2, which is less expensive.

Left that part out. No booster, stock '69 factory disc/drum master (about $30)

I have a pair of 69 disc spindles and a few plastic reservoir MCs. I may even have an iron one from a maverick. You can have the spindles and a master for the cost of shipping if you'd like.

if that offer is still open I might take you up on it for the Cougar