Sign in to follow this  
cgc

Feedback on pricing.

So, I've been slowly searching for a 69 or 70 fastback. I'm in no hurry and I'm really looking for either a simple I6 or 289/302 plain jane car. I'm going to be doing some minor things to the car that personally I would rather not do to a special run (Mach, GT etc) and obviously the price should be lower for the I6 cars I would think.

So I ran across this car on e-bay and while I'm not really interested because its from up north and even though the pictures look good, I do worry about salt/snow....but....I wanted was some feed back on the price of this car. Are they asking a fair price, too much, too little? Its one of the first I6s I've seen so it's hard for me to judge.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230668817375

If this is a member's car this post is in no way trying to be disrespectful...I like the car (a lot actually), just very hesitant to buy a car from up north.

Anyways, what kind of pricing should I look for or is the $12,900 starting price what I should expect?

Thanks in advance.

Personally I would wait..for 6cyl seems a little steep ...Also look south for cars like you said definetly buy the best you can afford body wise the engine and interior bits are cheap by comparsion...Look local or within 4 hours drive to see it yourself you should find something.

Personally I would wait..for 6cyl seems a little steep ...Also look south for cars like you said definetly buy the best you can afford body wise the engine and interior bits are cheap by comparsion...Look local or within 4 hours drive to see it yourself you should find something.

OK, that's pretty much what I was thinking...a little high for a 6, but this being the first I've seen I wasn't 100% sure. Honestly, $10K would be about the most I would go on this one.

Like you said, the body is my main concern since most of the interior , suspension and drive train will be yanked, sold and replaced.

Thanks for the input.

So, I've been slowly searching for a 69 or 70 fastback. I'm in no hurry and I'm really looking for either a simple I6 or 289/302 plain jane car. I'm going to be doing some minor things to the car that personally I would rather not do to a special run (Mach, GT etc) and obviously the price should be lower for the I6 cars I would think.

So I ran across this car on e-bay and while I'm not really interested because its from up north and even though the pictures look good, I do worry about salt/snow....but....I wanted was some feed back on the price of this car. Are they asking a fair price, too much, too little? Its one of the first I6s I've seen so it's hard for me to judge.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230668817375

If this is a member's car this post is in no way trying to be disrespectful...I like the car (a lot actually), just very hesitant to buy a car from up north.

Anyways, what kind of pricing should I look for or is the $12,900 starting price what I should expect?

Thanks in advance.

I can't see the ebay add from work, but I plan on initially asking $13,500 for my 69 fastback with a strong, freshly rebuilt 302 (machine and assembly done by Bliss Performance), freshly rebuilt C4 tranny, new brakes, and other mods and improvements. This car has been in Western Washington state most of it's life. It has some very mild rust, but it's from weatherstripping and seal leaks, not road salt. Mostly like lower door corners, lower rear quarter panels, the areas where water sits after getting into the car. I bought the car mostly in boxes and coffee cans two years ago, and it is now registered and drivable. My car was appriased by a Mustang shop, and this is what he said I should intially try to sell it for after I do a couple more things to it.

So, that price does seem steep for a 6 cylinder car.

Like you and the other guys have said I would try to find one with a solid body. Engines and mechanicals are relatievely cheap and easy to come by. Paint jobs are expensive so find one that has no rust and good paint. Look out for cars that have what we call here in Australia a USA respray. Basically they just mask everthing off with little or no prep and slam on a couple of coats of two pack. Looks great in photos but up close it is scary. Also roadworthiness has different meanings to different people. What some call a driver is what I call a POS. Just because you can drive it doesn't mean you should.

I would not rule out a mach1 though. They were really common (74 000 units in 69?) and for just the interior and suspension upgrade I think they are worth it. Also try to make sure it is an original power disc brake front. While you can live with drum brakes non power asist, IMO they suck big time. And while there are plenty of disc brake upgrades out there they are not all that great and they do add some $800 or more to your budget. Also if you have your heart set on a manual gearbox buy a car with one already fitted. Again conversion kits are out there but the cost is high and they all have their limitations.

This is what I feel I have learned having bought two 69's in the last 12 months. And ffs don't buy someone elses project car in boxes to save a few dollars, after a while you just get sick of finding crap that is missing and having to replace it.

I greatly appreciate all the input...seriously, thank you.

To give you guys a little insight (which may help, but probably not...lol).

The main thing I'm concerned with is the body (all trim), glass and dash...and that's about it.

If I get a car with anything else, more than likely the rest will be sold off set some of the cost of the project.

I'm planning on keeping the body basically stock (removing emblems) and looking to paint it Mineral Gray with some black factory striping. Modifying the bumpers to remove the bolts and fitting them tighter to the body then black chromed.

Mustang II front suspension and cutting the shock towers out (aiming for a 4.6 DOHC). And I'm trying to read up on adding an 03/04 IRS in the rear.

Obviously I'm still doing a lot of research and like I said I'm in no rush to find a car but really wanted to gauge what a 6 cyl. would go for.

Most of the good bodies I've found are not "cheap" and it seemed like I would come out better finding a car like what was in this e-bay ad and selling off the stuff I don't want.

Anyways, sorry for rambling a bit here....lol. I try to talk to my wife about this and she just looks at me and nods. She's supportive, but just doesn't get it...lol.

Again thanks for all the input and pretty much backing what I though.

Chris

Like you and the other guys have said I would try to find one with a solid body. Engines and mechanicals are relatievely cheap and easy to come by. Paint jobs are expensive so find one that has no rust and good paint. Look out for cars that have what we call here in Australia a USA respray. Basically they just mask everthing off with little or no prep and slam on a couple of coats of two pack. Looks great in photos but up close it is scary. Also roadworthiness has different meanings to different people. What some call a driver is what I call a POS. Just because you can drive it doesn't mean you should.

I would not rule out a mach1 though. They were really common (74 000 units in 69?) and for just the interior and suspension upgrade I think they are worth it. Also try to make sure it is an original power disc brake front. While you can live with drum brakes non power asist, IMO they suck big time. And while there are plenty of disc brake upgrades out there they are not all that great and they do add some $800 or more to your budget. Also if you have your heart set on a manual gearbox buy a car with one already fitted. Again conversion kits are out there but the cost is high and they all have their limitations.

This is what I feel I have learned having bought two 69's in the last 12 months. And ffs don't buy someone elses project car in boxes to save a few dollars, after a while you just get sick of finding crap that is missing and having to replace it.

For what he is doing, a Mach would be a mistake. It would also be a pipe dream finding one for ten grand in good shape.

For what he is doing, a Mach would be a mistake. It would also be a pipe dream finding one for ten grand in good shape.

Yeah, and I might be thinking a bit on the ridiculous side...but I just really would prefer not molesting a special edition.

But that's just me :thumbup:

Yeah, and I might be thinking a bit on the ridiculous side...but I just really would prefer not molesting a special edition.

But that's just me :thumbup:

No, I'm with ya all the way on that. And the 10 grand being a pipe dream was referring to machs, not plain janes, just to be clear.

No, I'm with ya all the way on that. And the 10 grand being a pipe dream was referring to machs, not plain janes, just to be clear.

Na, I followed you on that.

I've seen what Machs (complete cars and rolling shells) go for...I know the deal ;)

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/2587036818.html

Here you go buy a coupe for the parts you need...

Interesting...I appreciate it. I'm still not completely sold on getting a Mach or another special run car....but if the price is right, I may have to suck it up and just ask you guys to forgive me...lol.

Honestly I wouldn't even need to buy a coupe because I don't think I'll be using enough parts off of one to warrant the investment there. But then again, I know from other cars I've had that little things add up quickly.

Looking for a 69/70 Mustang makes me sick though. The first Mustang I ever bought was a 69 fastback and I paid $700 for it. it was almost in the identical shape of the one you linked from CL. I got it to the point where it was prepped to be painted then sold it for....$700. :censored:

Of course this was 20 years ago...but still. I could punch myself in the face for selling that car. The guy I sold it to (my now ex-brother in law) was supposed to let me know if/when he sold it so I could have the option to buy it back.

And of course he never did.

Edited by cgc