Sign in to follow this  
1969 coupe

paint and body

Forgive me but I'm going to ask another stupid question so here it is. I have some spots that the paint is coming off and want to know what and if I should put something on it. It's outside now but hope to get it in out of the weather soon. It will be a while before any paint goes back on. I have a few pics on here to get some idea of what I am talking about. Anybody know where to get muffler bearings? JK

Edited by 1969 coupe
add pic

Forgive me but I'm going to ask another stupid question so here it is. I have some spots that the paint is coming off and want to know what and if I should put something on it. It's outside now but hope to get it in out of the weather soon. It will be a while before any paint goes back on. I have a few pics on here to get some idea of what I am talking about. Anybody know where to get muffler bearings? JK

Edited by 1969 coupe
add pic

Sand with the least gritty paper that does the job (prob 240, 320) etc- remove all traces of rust to clean shiney metal. Blow off, wipe clean with laquer thinner or wax and grease remover. Spray or brush epoxy primer on the shiney metal. DO NOT USE the standard grey primer- (high build, etc) It is NOT water proof- the epoxy is (be sure to wear a respirator if you spray epoxy primer)

Sand with the least gritty paper that does the job (prob 240, 320) etc- remove all traces of rust to clean shiney metal. Blow off, wipe clean with laquer thinner or wax and grease remover. Spray or brush epoxy primer on the shiney metal. DO NOT USE the standard grey primer- (high build, etc) It is NOT water proof- the epoxy is (be sure to wear a respirator if you spray epoxy primer)

After looking at your pics- Is that bondo I see on the fender? if so REMOVE THAT too- it will absorb water and rust from underneath (another reason it gets a bad reputaton) If it has paint on it its ok but it looks like your paint broke down allowing moisture in, which caused the rust- You can get primer in black if you want so the car doesn't look too bad.

After looking at your pics- Is that bondo I see on the fender? if so REMOVE THAT too- it will absorb water and rust from underneath (another reason it gets a bad reputaton) If it has paint on it its ok but it looks like your paint broke down allowing moisture in, which caused the rust- You can get primer in black if you want so the car doesn't look too bad.

If you don't care about the paint around it and it will be coming out of the rain some time relatively soon you could try a little grease. Rust needs oxygen and the grease will deprive it of that and slow it right down.

I have also used lanolin oil in a spray can for rust, especially if it is coming from the inside out. Sump oil is another good one and is great for rust proofing. You will just need to keep up the treatments every few years and not park in your drivway for a month after!

If you don't care about the paint around it and it will be coming out of the rain some time relatively soon you could try a little grease. Rust needs oxygen and the grease will deprive it of that and slow it right down.

I have also used lanolin oil in a spray can for rust, especially if it is coming from the inside out. Sump oil is another good one and is great for rust proofing. You will just need to keep up the treatments every few years and not park in your drivway for a month after!