Sign in to follow this  
CarZombie

Replacement of Blower Resistor

Posted about my blower motor not hitting, high. Link here: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=10218

Don't have a volt meter, so I unplug the connector from the switch and used a jump wire from the hot to the low, medium, and high terminals/connectors. Got low and medium, but no high. I am assume this is an ok test and means the blower resistor needs replacement.

Has anyone done this? Shop manual makes it sound like you can do this without removing anything, just reach up under the dash and remove the wires, and then the resistor, but I am having trouble even getting a visual on were the resistor would be. Any advice, or tips, would be appreciated.

Posted about my blower motor not hitting, high. Link here: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=10218

Don't have a volt meter, so I unplug the connector from the switch and used a jump wire from the hot to the low, medium, and high terminals/connectors. Got low and medium, but no high. I am assume this is an ok test and means the blower resistor needs replacement.

Has anyone done this? Shop manual makes it sound like you can do this without removing anything, just reach up under the dash and remove the wires, and then the resistor, but I am having trouble even getting a visual on were the resistor would be. Any advice, or tips, would be appreciated.

The resistors are attached to a phenolic base which is screwed onto the side of the air duct between the fan and the center duct distribution area down by your feet. Look under the dash on the passanger side and look for where some (3 or 4, I can't remember) wires attach to some terminals that are flush with the surface of the blower duct. There will be two screws holding this terminal block on, undue them and you will find the resistors on the back side. The resistors ( wound pieces of wire) are mounted so that they receive air flow over them so they don't get too hot and burn up. You can pull them out and check them but I am not sure by your description of your trouble shooting that you have confirmed that the switch is good. Good luck.

The resistors are attached to a phenolic base which is screwed onto the side of the air duct between the fan and the center duct distribution area down by your feet. Look under the dash on the passanger side and look for where some (3 or 4, I can't remember) wires attach to some terminals that are flush with the surface of the blower duct. There will be two screws holding this terminal block on, undue them and you will find the resistors on the back side. The resistors ( wound pieces of wire) are mounted so that they receive air flow over them so they don't get too hot and burn up. You can pull them out and check them but I am not sure by your description of your trouble shooting that you have confirmed that the switch is good. Good luck.

Something about this does not make sense. When you are in the highest position on the fan switch, you are connecting full battery voltage to the motor. The resistors are not a part of operation on the highest speed. My guess is you have a bad wire from the switch to the resistor or a bad connection on the resistor.

You should buy a voltmeter, they are really cheap. We are always looking for oppertunities to buy new tools, so do it. Harbor Freight has them for $5.

Something about this does not make sense. When you are in the highest position on the fan switch, you are connecting full battery voltage to the motor. The resistors are not a part of operation on the highest speed. My guess is you have a bad wire from the switch to the resistor or a bad connection on the resistor.

You should buy a voltmeter, they are really cheap. We are always looking for oppertunities to buy new tools, so do it. Harbor Freight has them for $5.

Thank you for the answers. As for the volt meter, it is not a question of buying it, it is a question of knowing how to use it. If any one wants to give me some instructions, that would be great. I still have a couple of ways to check this using just the test light that I think will help. I have said it before and I will say it again: I HATE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS.

Thank you for the answers. As for the volt meter, it is not a question of buying it, it is a question of knowing how to use it. If any one wants to give me some instructions, that would be great. I still have a couple of ways to check this using just the test light that I think will help. I have said it before and I will say it again: I HATE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS.

Hey CarZombie, Assuming that you have no experience with electronics or such, I would start by watching some videos on YouTube. There is a wealth of information on multimeter use. Watch the videos and then you get an idea of a meter to buy. I would suggest a digital meter from Radioshack, Fry Electronics or any other place that may sell them. You can get a really great digital meter for about $50 or less. Doesn't have to be fancy. I would stay away from the old needle & dial meters for ease of use. Then you can read the instructions that came with the meter, watch some videos again on Youtube to use your meter for different things...IE: reading DC volts, AC volts, making continuty checks, reading resistance and checking for grounds or the lack of a ground. Then you can practice using your meter around the house or on your car with some simple checks. I wouldn't try to troubleshoot anything until you practiced on something you know is good. That way, you can see how everything works and understand what you are reading and the indications that are displayed. Just start off with the basics and things will start to make sense. I know this is real basic but I hope it gets you headed down the right road and you can become familar with a multimeter.

Hey CarZombie, Assuming that you have no experience with electronics or such, I would start by watching some videos on YouTube. There is a wealth of information on multimeter use. Watch the videos and then you get an idea of a meter to buy. I would suggest a digital meter from Radioshack, Fry Electronics or any other place that may sell them. You can get a really great digital meter for about $50 or less. Doesn't have to be fancy. I would stay away from the old needle & dial meters for ease of use. Then you can read the instructions that came with the meter, watch some videos again on Youtube to use your meter for different things...IE: reading DC volts, AC volts, making continuty checks, reading resistance and checking for grounds or the lack of a ground. Then you can practice using your meter around the house or on your car with some simple checks. I wouldn't try to troubleshoot anything until you practiced on something you know is good. That way, you can see how everything works and understand what you are reading and the indications that are displayed. Just start off with the basics and things will start to make sense. I know this is real basic but I hope it gets you headed down the right road and you can become familar with a multimeter.