Sign in to follow this  
1969 Mach1

1969 Mach1 351W Hood Clearance With RPM Air Gap

I know this has been discussed before but I haven't found a clear answer. Has anybody installed an RPM Air Gap intake on a 1969 Mustang with a 351W and stock non-shaker hood. Does it fit under the stock hood? And if so what carb and air cleaner combo is needed. I am currently running a Weiand Stealth, a Holley 700 DP, and a Moroso 1 1/8" drop base air cleaner with 3" tall filter. That combo gives me about 3/4" hood to air cleaner clearance. I would like to try the RPM Air Gap, any info is helpfull.

Thanks

I know this has been discussed before but I haven't found a clear answer. Has anybody installed an RPM Air Gap intake on a 1969 Mustang with a 351W and stock non-shaker hood. Does it fit under the stock hood? And if so what carb and air cleaner combo is needed. I am currently running a Weiand Stealth, a Holley 700 DP, and a Moroso 1 1/8" drop base air cleaner with 3" tall filter. That combo gives me about 3/4" hood to air cleaner clearance. I would like to try the RPM Air Gap, any info is helpfull.

Thanks

I've got the Air-Gap with a Speed Demon 750VE on top. I can only run a 2" filter. It barely fits, actually I dinged my hood with the airfilter nut! But I'm running the scoop, and made a hole under it anyway.

I've got the Air-Gap with a Speed Demon 750VE on top. I can only run a 2" filter. It barely fits, actually I dinged my hood with the airfilter nut! But I'm running the scoop, and made a hole under it anyway.

Strokedwindsor:

Did the RPM Air Gap work very well? I use to have a Performer RPM and it was pretty lazy below about 2000 RPM and the fuel distribution between cylinders was very uneven. The Stealth I currently have is much better in both those areas. With your RPM Air Gap was the air cleaner a typical 1 1/4" drop base with a 3" tall filter?

Thanks

Strokedwindsor:

Did the RPM Air Gap work very well? I use to have a Performer RPM and it was pretty lazy below about 2000 RPM and the fuel distribution between cylinders was very uneven. The Stealth I currently have is much better in both those areas. With your RPM Air Gap was the air cleaner a typical 1 1/4" drop base with a 3" tall filter?

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of ordering one from Summit and carefully mocking it up before bolting it on. My 14" Moroso air cleaner with a 3" tall filter drops about 1/4" lower than the K&N you have, BigDuke6. There may be enough clearance so the air cleaner will never contact the hood. The Moroso air cleaner lid rises only 5/8" while the K&N lid rises 1". But the Moroso shape provides more clearance above the carb choke tower.

Edited by 1969 Mach1

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of ordering one from Summit and carefully mocking it up before bolting it on. My 14" Moroso air cleaner with a 3" tall filter drops about 1/4" lower than the K&N you have, BigDuke6. There may be enough clearance so the air cleaner will never contact the hood. The Moroso air cleaner lid rises only 5/8" while the K&N lid rises 1". But the Moroso shape provides more clearance above the carb choke tower.

Edited by 1969 Mach1

It's a standard flat base. K&N filter and x-treme flow top.

Hi Frode. It's been a long time. I am moving from the NL to Germany in a few weeks. How is my car's twin running?

jerry

It's a standard flat base. K&N filter and x-treme flow top.

Hi Frode. It's been a long time. I am moving from the NL to Germany in a few weeks. How is my car's twin running?

jerry

BigDuke6:

You mentioned the air cleaner *just* fits under the hood with the RPM Air Gap-4150 Carb-Air Cleaner combo you have. Do you know how much clearance there is? I spoke to Edelbrock Tech Support and the tech told me from personal experience there is not enough room to adequately fit an air cleaner under the hood. I'd like to make the change but just trying to get more info first.

BigDuke6:

You mentioned the air cleaner *just* fits under the hood with the RPM Air Gap-4150 Carb-Air Cleaner combo you have. Do you know how much clearance there is? I spoke to Edelbrock Tech Support and the tech told me from personal experience there is not enough room to adequately fit an air cleaner under the hood. I'd like to make the change but just trying to get more info first.

Well, I mocked up the RPM Air Gap intake manifold. This is what I got for hood clearance. Using a Holley 4150 700 CFM DP with choke carb, a 14" Moroso air cleaner with 3" tall filter and base modified to drop 1.5", my hood clearance was minimum 7/16" to a maximum of 3/4". I checked it in 5 locations, 4 at the highest points on the perimeter of the lid and one in the center of the lid. The minumum occurred at the front, left and right sides and the maximum was in the rear. There is 5/8" clearance in the center from the hood to top of air cleaner nut. That is a hex nut with flat and rubber washer underneath it and not a wing nut. I have seen less clearance with no issues so I guess it will be fine.