Sign in to follow this  
dave69vert

Hot header question?

:sweatdrop: It lives. I finally got my car running. My question is when I first started it up after 2 minutes i could see the headers glowing while it was just at a ideal. Is this normal? I installed a carburated 5.0 HO motor withTri Y nickle plated headers. It was dusk outside and i didnt take it for a drive. I still have set the timing and adjust the carb. I know headers can get hot but not this hot. Anyone know of any problems with this in there rides?

:sweatdrop: It lives. I finally got my car running. My question is when I first started it up after 2 minutes i could see the headers glowing while it was just at a ideal. Is this normal? I installed a carburated 5.0 HO motor withTri Y nickle plated headers. It was dusk outside and i didnt take it for a drive. I still have set the timing and adjust the carb. I know headers can get hot but not this hot. Anyone know of any problems with this in there rides?

I used to have a Cortina with a 250 precrossflow and a 2V head. It used to glow bright red at idle all the time and I couldn't kill that car. I was also driving along the freeway the other day at dusk when I passed a hot rod with the open engine covers. At 100klms an hour his headers were glowing a dull red too. So I think it is perfectly normal.

Edited by Lemon Owner
grammer

I used to have a Cortina with a 250 precrossflow and a 2V head. It used to glow bright red at idle all the time and I couldn't kill that car. I was also driving along the freeway the other day at dusk when I passed a hot rod with the open engine covers. At 100klms an hour his headers were glowing a dull red too. So I think it is perfectly normal.

Edited by Lemon Owner
grammer

Its a little to dark out now. In the morning I will try to set everything up. The timing is probely way off, This is a 5.0 with a early model 302 timing cover. The motor is set up like a 70 302. I dont know if the timing marker I'm using is in the same location as the 5.0 location. The harmonick balancer is the same as a 5.0 since im using a T5 trans with a 5.0 bellhousing and fly wheel to match the same imbalance for a 5.0.

Its a little to dark out now. In the morning I will try to set everything up. The timing is probely way off, This is a 5.0 with a early model 302 timing cover. The motor is set up like a 70 302. I dont know if the timing marker I'm using is in the same location as the 5.0 location. The harmonick balancer is the same as a 5.0 since im using a T5 trans with a 5.0 bellhousing and fly wheel to match the same imbalance for a 5.0.

All it will be is your idle circuit running a little lean. I used to play with the Cortina's to make them glow more or less, kinda a party trick. You can test the theory by adjusting your mixture screws to see how it reacts. Personally I would just close the hood and take it for a drive, if there is anything wrong with the timing etc. that will tell you.

All it will be is your idle circuit running a little lean. I used to play with the Cortina's to make them glow more or less, kinda a party trick. You can test the theory by adjusting your mixture screws to see how it reacts. Personally I would just close the hood and take it for a drive, if there is anything wrong with the timing etc. that will tell you.