Sign in to follow this  
six_sigma

200CI i6 to 302 swap

Hey guys new to the board and looking for a little guidance.

I just picked up 69 vert with an I6 AT and the engine looks like its gonna retire on me. One of my options is a 302 and MT out of an 84 Mustang.

My questions are this...

1. Will the newer 302 bolt in to the existing mounting point in the engine bay?

2. Will I be cutting my tranny tunnel to accommodate the new transmission and shifter?

Are there any red flags I should be aware of and better yet is there a book or some other resource out there that will help me walk through the process.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate any hard earned wisdom you'd care to share.

Some where there is a master list but the short list is:

V-8 front springs

V-8 motor mounts

Clutch assembly ... Z bar. pedal

84 block doesn't have the Zbar boss

84 tranny/clutch works opposite way of 69 clutch/top loader

84 tranny/clutch needs cable or hydrolic to work.

Top loader needs top loader bell housing.

No cutting for 84 trans to fit, needs different shift lever.

There are better engine/transmission combos availible.

I'm no I6 expert but I am pretty sure that if it is a 250 I6 and not the smaller 200 I6 then front end stuff is already the heavier V8 stuff and doesn't require swap out, it is already a 5 lug and everything. There is tons of info on this swap out there, so much that we don't even have it in our own how to section since there is just too much to cover. Just run a google search for "classic mustang 6 to 8 conversion" and you should be covered.

Here's one good example on a 67' going with an 88' motor and driveline, with a 250 six in a 69' it's even that much easier.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/ccrp_0805_1967_ford_mustang_engine_swap/index.html

Pak you are correct in that the 250 I6 shares f&r 5-lug suspension/brakes with the 302 V8 (springs may be slightly different).

However his title says "200CI I6" so if original it would have the 4-lug suspension.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

Thanks Pak, that article was great, parts list and all. It even deals with the transmission I want to put in!

And I did know about suspension and brakes, I got a 9" limited slip dif from a Cougar and the front A arms when I picked up the car.

Some where there is a master list but the short list is:

V-8 front springs

V-8 motor mounts

Clutch assembly ... Z bar. pedal

84 block doesn't have the Zbar boss

84 tranny/clutch works opposite way of 69 clutch/top loader

84 tranny/clutch needs cable or hydrolic to work.

Top loader needs top loader bell housing.

No cutting for 84 trans to fit, needs different shift lever.

There are better engine/transmission combos availible.

Thanks for the input Tim.

The reason for the engine/tranny combo is economic (read FREE) so that's where I was hoping to start. But I also wanted to make sure that any extra work that might need to be done doesn't outweigh the initial benefit. What in your opinion would be a better small block combo. If you don't mind my asking.

Thanks again.

Glad you found the article useful and good luck with your project. It looks like you have a fine starting point and it is always nice to have another vert on the boards! :thumbup1:

So I've just pulled the engine and tranny from this 85. And it was all go and no show as you can see from the pic. The interior was just trashed and not worth fixing.

IMG_0786.JPG

So now the carburated 302 is on and engine stand and the T5 is getting detailed I need to start putting together a parts list for collection over the winter so I can get ready for the install this spring.

I've already got a quote for the parts I need from ModernDriveLine so I think thats covered. I have a 9" rear dif out of a 69 cougar (Which I'm told is a limited slip with 3.25 gears, something I have to confirm. Unfortunately the tag was painted over and is so corroded I can't really make out the numbers) and V8 front upper and lower control arms and drum spindles.

Right now my biggest questions are.

1. Can I hang on to my original rad for a while?

2. The engine currently has a serpentine set-up with clutch fan, should I stay with that or convert it back to a V-Belt

3. Do I need to change the oil pan

And of course this will be the first of many posts. Thanks for any an all help.

So I've just pulled the engine and tranny from this 85. And it was all go and no show as you can see from the pic. The interior was just trashed and not worth fixing.

IMG_0786.JPG

So now the carburated 302 is on and engine stand and the T5 is getting detailed I need to start putting together a parts list for collection over the winter so I can get ready for the install this spring.

I've already got a quote for the parts I need from ModernDriveLine so I think thats covered. I have a 9" rear dif out of a 69 cougar (Which I'm told is a limited slip with 3.25 gears, something I have to confirm. Unfortunately the tag was painted over and is so corroded I can't really make out the numbers) and V8 front upper and lower control arms and drum spindles.

Right now my biggest questions are.

1. Can I hang on to my original rad for a while?

2. The engine currently has a serpentine set-up with clutch fan, should I stay with that or convert it back to a V-Belt

3. Do I need to change the oil pan

And of course this will be the first of many posts. Thanks for any an all help.

I think the inlet & outlets on the radiator will not line up like your old radiator,

If you can hook up the accesories to the 69 systems I would stay with the serpentine set up, & I believe the oil pan will need to be replaced.

YES, the oil pan needs to be replaced as does the oil pick up strainer.

You said "84" before, but now that you are saying "85", we are talking the best and last Carburated 302 Ford ever put in a Mustang !! This was the 1st of the real H.O. 5.0L Mustang engines and it included a roller cam and a decent and tuneable 4185 Holley Carb. I had one in a '79 Fairmont (read my sig below) and it was quite the sleeper !!

I'm 99% sure you can keep the whole 1985 front engine accy drive IF you swap in a 1970 spec radiator that will have the lower water pump inlet on the correct side.

The 200 I6 radiator would not have enough cooling capacity for an '85 HO 5.0L anyway.

Doug

One other thing ...

With the front sump pan, you will need a front sump type dipstick & tube as well. Can't remember if the '85 timing cover has provisions for adding the dipstick, so you MIGHT also need a early style timing cover with the dipstick hole.

Doug

Oh and after trying for an hour to read the tag on my rear diff to figure out the gearing I just decided to pull it a part and find out for myself.

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

Turns out the gears are 2.79:1...

IMG_0804.jpg

but here is where it gets ugly...

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

Looks like I'm going to need new gears. Fun.

I think you might be right, I've been trying to find out what I had there for weeks, and of course the guy I bought it from swears its a 9" and I'm new to this so what the hell do I know. It's why I joined this site, albeit AFTER I bought the car and rear end.

Oh well, I guess another call to him to see what he has to say.

Caveat emptor and do ALL your home work before the purchase.

We need a face smack smilie.

Edited by six_sigma
added last sentence.