Sign in to follow this  
LSG

1969 taillights

Guys, if one owns a '69 stang M1 with the satin black tail panel, is that car also supposed to have the chrome trim rings on the tailights ? My buddy's M1 has the black panel, and no trims. My 69 has a body coloured panel, and has the rings. I think his car looks just fine without the added steel, but he wonders if it is supposed to be there. We found rings ( rectangles ? ) for about 10$ each.......but wondered who has them on their car, who does not ? LSG

I was lead to beleive that only '69 Boss 302 mustangs have the black tail light panel. The Mach 1s have same color as the rest of the car. And both Boss and Mach 1 have the chrome trims on tail light lenses. None without. Never came without.

Edited by 6T9rustang

LilMike, the best adhesive for the tail light trim pieces is a gelled type clear 5 minute epoxy. The gelled epoxy will hold to the vertical surfaces. Clean the lens lip and trim surface well and apply a small amount of the glue to the recesses of trim ring using a small spatula, or even a flat blade screwdriver. You don’t need to fill the trim all the way around. An inch or so at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o’clock positions will do. Again, use sparingly as the excess will squeeze out as you press the trim into place. Mix up only enough epoxy as you need to mount two trims at a time. The glue sets up quickly, and is messy stuff if you mistakenly get it on an unintended surface. So you may even want to take the precaution of masking off the lens surfaces just to be safe, although it's not absolutely necessary if you are very careful.

Regards,

Tony

Thanks Bruce & Tony. I'll check that out. I had 2 come off and one has a glue buildup real bad. As for the tail light panel, I believe 6T9rustang is right. The only black panels I have seen are on the Boss 429 or on some cars that people have painted to clone the Boss 429. I also think that the Boss 429 also had black headlight bezesl or something to that effect. Not sure about that but again, I have seen photos.

Only the Boss 302s had the headlight coves painted black as well. The 429s had no black on them anywhere.

I used Gorilla glue on my stainless trim. I bought repro lenses and the first time I washed the car 3 of the 6 rings came off in my hands. They used aquarium sealer to glue them, which is a horrible plan.

. . . I bought repro lenses and the first time I washed the car 3 of the 6 rings came off in my hands. They used aquarium sealer to glue them, which is a horrible plan.

Bingo - my story as well. :001_rolleyes:

Only the Boss 302s had the headlight coves painted black as well. The 429s had no black on them anywhere.

I used Gorilla glue on my stainless trim. I bought repro lenses and the first time I washed the car 3 of the 6 rings came off in my hands. They used aquarium sealer to glue them, which is a horrible plan.

I'm sorry dude, but that's just down right funny!!!!!! Bruce

I'm sorry dude, but that's just down right funny!!!!!! Bruce

Yeah, I was muttering to myself as I was fixing my brand new parts. The worst part was getting all the sealer out of the chrome pieces. It stuck there instead of the lens.

I wish that was my only problem with new repro parts. Quality is pretty bad these days.

For the taillight chrome, I think some came without it. All Mach1 had it, and it was also a feature with the exterior decor option on any car. So if your car was not a M1, Boss, or did not have the decor option, I think it did not have them. My vert had the exterior decor so it has them.

For the taillight chrome, I think some came without it. All Mach1 had it, and it was also a feature with the exterior decor option on any car. So if your car was not a M1, Boss, or did not have the decor option, I think it did not have them. My vert had the exterior decor so it has them.

The tailight trim came on all of the '69 models, including the lowest optioned base hardtop.