Sign in to follow this  
1969starr

Changing a headlight

I needed to replace the drivers side headlight on my 69 Fastback. Simple enough right? After installing the new light I noticed it wiggled in the bucket. Question ... is the tension spring supposed to be connected to the tab on the headlight ring, the slot in the bucket, or both? When I removed the passenger side light to compare it was not attached to the tab on the headlight ring, only the bucket, and that light is secure in the adjusting bucket. Two lights installed differently! Anybody know the proper way the light should secured in a 69? Also, what is the secret technique for pulling the tension spring into place? Thanks

I needed to replace the drivers side headlight on my 69 Fastback. Simple enough right? After installing the new light I noticed it wiggled in the bucket. Question ... is the tension spring supposed to be connected to the tab on the headlight ring, the slot in the bucket, or both? When I removed the passenger side light to compare it was not attached to the tab on the headlight ring, only the bucket, and that light is secure in the adjusting bucket. Two lights installed differently! Anybody know the proper way the light should secured in a 69? Also, what is the secret technique for pulling the tension spring into place? Thanks

I noticed no one answered you. The spring is attached to the ss trim ring and it is attached on the other end. I can't remember to what. It should be obvious though. It is a tough job to get the spring attached. That spring holds the light assembly tight. I know I had to attach the spring to the trim ring and then work it over the sealed beam. It is not easy. Good luck

JAG

I noticed no one answered you. The spring is attached to the ss trim ring and it is attached on the other end. I can't remember to what. It should be obvious though. It is a tough job to get the spring attached. That spring holds the light assembly tight. I know I had to attach the spring to the trim ring and then work it over the sealed beam. It is not easy. Good luck

JAG

I actually did this yesterday on my coupe and had to get my lady to gimme a hand.The spring attaches/is seated at the back behind the "bulb bucket" in a V groove.The groove on my car became to wide and so i had to fashion an extension with a coat hanger.I also used a coat hanger to hook onto the closest spring end my lady heaved on it until i could clear the ring around the bulb.

I actually did this yesterday on my coupe and had to get my lady to gimme a hand.The spring attaches/is seated at the back behind the "bulb bucket" in a V groove.The groove on my car became to wide and so i had to fashion an extension with a coat hanger.I also used a coat hanger to hook onto the closest spring end my lady heaved on it until i could clear the ring around the bulb.

Thanks for the info. You confirmed what made sense to me as the proper way to install it. And, I don't feel like a total doofus for having to fight with that spring to get it on. I bet the Ford engineer who designed that connection stills laughs about it today when he thinks about guys like me working on the headlight.

Hmm I just did this and it was an incredible PIA. I am not sure if mine is right- but I was able to get the spring end in the SS trim hole and with the funny end it has it lined up with the bucket hole so it is actually holding both parts. It seems pretty tight that way- anyone have a picture of the correct way?

I know im late about this but those connections that plug into the tail might be a light bucket and can be junk. I had wiggled mine and now working. Yours may be fine.... but try putting everything back together and rotating/ pulling in/out slightly on the tail light bucket plug. worked for me.

I know this is old but I could not help but laugh when I read the first two sentences. "Just had to change a headlight, simple enough right?". I had to change both my headlights to compliance my 69 coupe for Australian registration. Simple right? hahahaha. Yea if draggin the mig welder out to weld the chrome retainer ring back together and to fix at least one retainer screw post on each side. And boy I had to have it on the lowest setting too, not hard to melt that ring to nothin. Yea, simple 5 minute job.......sheesh.